Sunday 6 December 2009

Is Online Technology Really Beneficial to Children?

Online technology changes our lives radically convenient. Children's lives are also affected, thus today, it is true that many children cannot live without computer technology, such as blogs, texts, and social networking services. Although we often face negative aspects of this phenomenon, "Technology boosts literacy skills" told us one of its benefits: developing children's literacy skills.
According to the result of a survey by the National Literacy Trust in UK, children who are bloggers or social networkers have better writing skills than children who neither blogged nor used social network sites. Jonathan Douglas, director of the National Literacy Trust, mentioned that it's because children who are engaged online users become enthusiastic writers for short stories, letters, song lyrics, or diaries. He also said "the more forms of communications children use the stronger their core literacy skills".
I agree with Jonathan since this result can apply to my studying English. Response writing I'm trying now has exactly the same purpose that he suggests. But I still worry about its harmful effects of children. Aren't there any long-term effects to children's eyes, brains, and physical developments? If I became a mom, could I encourage my children to spent many times with computers or mobiles to develop their literacy? Maybe not... How do you guys think if you ask the same question?
__________
References
Kleinman.Z(2009, December, 3). Technology boosts literacy skills. BBC News. Retrieved December 5, 2009 from http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/2/hi/technology/8392653.stm


1 comment:

  1. Maiko wrote, "it is true that many children cannot live without computer technology," but I was thinking - "Me, too." I don't like to be cut off for too long. Thankfully now, I can access the online world pretty well everywhere.
    When I was back in Australia recently, both my brother, with whom I staid, and my mother, who I visited every day, had ready access to the internet. My mother never uses it, probably never has, but my nieces and nephews are among those "many children [who] cannot live without computer technology", so it was there ready for me to use, and I could get my daily news fix: read teh news, check my email, blog, and so on. I also use Google's Picasa to store and share photographs, so that was also readily available.

    I haven't noticed any health problems yet. My eyes are certainly getting worse, but I think that has more to do with genetics and age than anything else.

    ReplyDelete

Before you click the blue "Publish" button for your first comment on a post, check ✔ the "Notify me" box. You want to know when your classmates contribute to a discussion you have joined.

A thoughtful response should normally mean writing for five to ten minutes. After you state your main idea, some details, explanation, examples or other follow up will help your readers.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.