Sunday 28 February 2010

Close bosom friends revisited

I didn't get around to blogging it at the end of last term, but one of the things that impressed me in the last writing assignment was that a couple of people cited Keats' poem "To Autumn" in their analysis of the meaning of Robert Frost's "The Road Not Taken". As you know, I cited the same poem to support the thesis in my own essay on Frost, and it was a pleasant surprise to come across the same work used for similar purposes in other essays on that topic. The people who did that had not read my essay in advance, since I only wrote it the day your first drafts were due, nor am I aware of any online source you were likely to come across that made teh same link, so I was pretty sure that the connection between the poems had been independently made by the writers.
What I wanted to blog was the genesis of Keats' poem being cited to support an understanding of Frost's. Very briefly, in his first essay last term, Petch used the phrase close-bosomed, and when she reviewed it, Roong made exactly the the comment that I would have made, clearly having gone to some trouble to research the term. Whilst agreeing with Roong's suggestion that it might be better not to use such an unusual and dated term in that particular essay, I also very much liked it, because it reminded me of the Keats poem, which has long been one of my favourites. In fact, the poem is so perfect that not even having to study it in high school could make me dislike it. (That's not really fair. The senior English master at my high school, who taught us that year, was very capable, and obviously loved his job.) Anyway, the phrase, and Roong's considered response in her review comments, prompted me to blog on it (Peter, 2010), which I guess is where others might have come across it and decided that Keats' "To Autumn" could be used as relevant support to help us better appreciate Frost's poem, to which use they very competently put it.
And now I'm wondering: is that right, or did Keats end up in essays on Frost via some other road taken?
__________
References
Peter. (2010, January 20). Close bosom friends. Class Blog - AEP at AUA. Message posted to http://peteraep.blogspot.com/ Retrieved February 28, 2010 from http://peteraep.blogspot.com/2010/01/close-bosom-friends.html
(This reference list entry is slightly different to what the latest (2007) APA style guide recommends, which does not include the link to the specific post or the name of the Blog.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Before you click the blue "Publish" button for your first comment on a post, check ✔ the "Notify me" box. You want to know when your classmates contribute to a discussion you have joined.

A thoughtful response should normally mean writing for five to ten minutes. After you state your main idea, some details, explanation, examples or other follow up will help your readers.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.