Sunday 28 February 2016

Are you addicted to the drugs in coffee?

Source background
A healthy addiction! 
According to Ben Taub in "Drinking Coffee May Protect The Liver From Alcohol Damage," recent large studies have added to the growing consensus among scientists that coffee is good for health. The most recent research shows that drinking coffee every day has a very strong beneficial result for livers that might otherwise suffer from the effects of alcohol use, with just one cup of coffee daily reducing the risk of the liver disease cirrhosis caused by alcohol by 22%, whilst four cups of coffee daily reduced the risk of this liver disease by 65% (2016). Taub also reports that other research suggests that coffee might also have "anti-cancer and aphrodisiac properties."

_______________________________________ 

My Yes/No question is:
Are you addicted to the drugs in coffee?

My answer is:
Yes, definitely. Like many people, I suffer withdrawal symptoms if I don't get my daily coffees. I have drunk at least two large, strong cups of fresh brewed coffee every day for almost forty years now. Over the last year or so, I've read several reports which suggest that coffee is not only not harmful, but that this collection of popular drugs of addiction is very good for the health of its addicts. In fact, coffee is much healthier than green tea!  This surprises some people, and it did surprise me, but that's what the increasing facts support.

So, if you aren't already, you might like to consider getting addicted to coffee. Other benefits are the great taste and sociability of a cup of coffee which I guess goes with the possible aphrodisiac benefits of coffee. The only disadvantage I can think of is that you suffer  nasty headaches and other withdrawal symptoms if you visit a small village in Sukothai having forgotten to pack your personal supply.
___________
Reference
Taub, B. (2016, February 25). Drinking coffee may protect the liver from alcohol damage. IFL Science. Retrieved from http://www.iflscience.com/health-and-medicine/drinking-coffee-may-protect-liver-alcohol-damage-study-suggests

4 comments:

  1. My morning and afternoon coffees are also great times for me to do some response writing on this blog. Savouring coffee goes well with browsing the news for interesting stories, and I can just about write one new post or a few quick comments whilst enjoying one cup of coffee.
    I strongly recommend your daily coffee as a good time to blog. If you are not addicted to coffee, perhaps there is some other daily addiction that fits well with response writing?

    Time for my Sunday afternoon coffee, but I've already done my daily response writing, so deserve a reward, and what better than an action movie with the coffee?
    I just got the latest Bond film, Spectre, and am sure it will go well with a coffee.
    I can happily pass on Mr. Bond's vodka martinis and other alcohol hits, but I like the action that does not require much thinking.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I addicted completely. All my day long is full of pots of tea. It's a black Chinese tea not milk tea because it would make my stomach bloated. I cannot live without caffeine definitely or It would be a boring and sleepy day sometimes headache occured. Anyway, I don't depend much on coffee because I think it's too strong at least it make you pee a lot. I tried to avoid my life in difficulty like you, Peter. Chasing the coffee while your hand is shaking and headache like it is almost burst is not fun, right?

    Among those good news about coffee benefits some make me suspicious like un-roasted coffee is good for your health because of full of anti-oxidants. I think who on earth want to drink the tasteless coffee when you actually know how smell it is. For me, I will left the scientific evidence there and go on drinking my cup of tea. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to drink tea a lot, but these days the only time I do that is at Japanese restaurants. I sometimes wish I drank more tea instead of eating!

      And when I'm at home in Australia. My brother doesn't like coffee, so although he keeps it for his physiologically dependent guests, he usually makes tea. Since he usually offers tea with his home made cakes and other delights, I'm happy to drink it.

      Delete
    2. How nice your brother is! He is very careful and thoughtful, even can persuade coffee dependent patient like you to sip a cup of tea for instance. haha.

      Delete

Before you click the blue "Publish" button for your first comment on a post, check ✔ the "Notify me" box. You want to know when your classmates contribute to a discussion you have joined.

A thoughtful response should normally mean writing for five to ten minutes. After you state your main idea, some details, explanation, examples or other follow up will help your readers.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.