Thursday 3 February 2011

Smiling


If someone tells you “the smile on your face lets me know you need me” same Krauss’ song, will you really believe his or her smiling? Because there are many feeling which is expressed by the smile, for example, when you are happy, amused, ashamed, or insincere, that is why you need experiences to classify which feeling is expressed by this smile.

According to Dr. Niedenthal’s model in “More to a Smile Than Lips and Teeth”, The brain makes use of three different means to distinguish a smile from some other expression. Firstly, a smile is distinguished by comparing the geometry of a person’s face to a standard smile. Secondly, people recognize smiles by thinking about the situation in which someone is making an expression, and the last one is that you imitate smiling in many of the same regions of the brain that are active in the smiler. It helps you more understand smiling.

After I finished this article, I agree that smile can express your emotions. Not only it expresses positive feeling but also expresses negative feeling. For example, you smile when you are happy, but when you are unhappy, you also express you feeling by smiling although it is smiling in a silly or unpleasant way. However, this article leads me to realize that Krauss also agree that only smile cannot make him believe in someone; therefore, There are these sentences which are “The smile on your face lets me know that you need me. There’s a truth in your eyes [saying] you’ll never leave me. The touch of your hand says you’ll catch me if ever I fall. You say it best when you say nothing at all” in her song.


__________


References
More to a Smile Than Lips and Teeth. (2011, January 24). The New York Times. Retrieved February 2, 2011 from http://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/25/science/25smile.html?pagewanted=2&_r=2&ref=science

1 comment:

  1. Smile is when, in the act of creating happiness, a medium of non-speaking. I never smile when I’m in terrible or normal situation. It seems I’m uncaring but I’m not :D

    I agree that a shape of smile depends on the geometry of face. Because I try to smile like superstars, which is with the upper teeth and lip. At that time, my face looks really weird. I back to my simple smile again.

    ReplyDelete

Before you click the blue "Publish" button for your first comment on a post, check ✔ the "Notify me" box. You want to know when your classmates contribute to a discussion you have joined.

A thoughtful response should normally mean writing for five to ten minutes. After you state your main idea, some details, explanation, examples or other follow up will help your readers.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.