Friday 22 April 2011

Welcome to AEP Reading and Writing 4 + Have Your Say

Thank you for registering for the Reading and Writing level 4 class in AUA's Academic English Program (AEP).

Over the next six weeks we will be working through two chapters in Hartmann's Quest 2 Reading and Writing [Quest] (2007), which is probably already familiar to some of you from level 3 last term, or perhaps even more familiar. We will be doing both a a bit more writing than Quest asks for and a bit more reading.

And this being 2011, we will be using the tools that are normal in modern academic institutions: email, the internet and so on; academics and students no longer submit their written work on scraps of paper, and we won't be doing that either.

I hope that you find the class both enjoyable and challenging so that our six weeks together will be productive and pleasant.

And if you ever have any question about anything, please feel welcome to ask us in class, email me, or write it up here on our class blog (Peter, 2011). 

Have Your Say
I have some overall plans for the term, and more specific class plans for the coming week and for each day, but since we can also be flexible, I have a couple of questions for discussion here.

The first one follows up the poll on the right - how should we spend our two and a half hours of Monday to Thursday class time? After you cast your vote in the poll, please feel welcome to add a comment below supporting your answer, and if necessary, explaining why your classmates who favour a different answer should change their minds. 

You are also welcome to share your ideas on what we should, or should not, be doing outside of class in the two to three hours of daily homework that I think is appropriate for a course in academic English.

You can start commenting as soon as you have accepted your invitation to join the blog, which I will email to you at 8:00 PM on Monday evening. 
__________
References

Hartmann, P. (2007). Quest 2 Reading and Writing, (2nd. ed.). New York: McGraw-Hill.

Peter. (2011, February). AEP, Blogging our class. Class Blog - AEP at AUA. Retrieved February 25, 2011 from http://peteraep.blogspot.com/p/blogging-our-class.html

7 comments:

  1. One of the six votes in the poll so far is mine (only 1), and I'm afraid I'm in the minority so far.

    Please, someone support me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi,Peter.Don't say you want to sleep in our class.You chose another one,didn't you ?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kuriko,
    I'm also wondering who voted to sleep. (I suspect a former student who did not sleep in class.)

    No, that one is not my vote.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I cast my bollet to spend most of our time in class doing reading and writing. But I would like that when we are going to do some speaks exercise. it would be better do it in open group, because in my opinion in small group it is more difficult to check our pronuntation mistakes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Peter!
    I agree the Susana’s commentary. I think your methodology is very nice, is possible we learning many things in the class time. We need pay attention in all details during the class. I hope accompany the group because my English not is so good!

    ReplyDelete
  6. At least one person is now supporting me.

    So, why does everyone else think I'm wrong and that we should spend our time in class reading and writing?

    But we will do some reading and writing in class tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I disagree Stephen law to eat meat because it is a food for human and human want them to build their bodies.So, some people must say that you can eat vegetable instead of meat,because vegetable can give vitamine for you like meat.

    ReplyDelete

Before you click the blue "Publish" button for your first comment on a post, check ✔ the "Notify me" box. You want to know when your classmates contribute to a discussion you have joined.

A thoughtful response should normally mean writing for five to ten minutes. After you state your main idea, some details, explanation, examples or other follow up will help your readers.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.