Wednesday 10 December 2008

Stephen Law v. Peter Singer: The Morality of Meat, Part I

In his dialogue "Carving the Roast Beast", the philosopher Stephen Law both presents strong arguments to support his claim that eating meat is immoral and effectively addresses the strongest opposing arguments to his thesis (Law, 2003). There is, however, a weakness at the beginning of his dialogue which he does not address and which refutes Law's main idea. Because of relevant differences between most humans and the non-humans that we normally eat, it is morally acceptable to kill and eat animals, although the reasons that support that have further consequences that Law does briefly touch on.

First, Law is right to point out that religious teachings are not relevant. Religions are not, and cannot be, a reliable guide to what is moral. As Law notes, the Christian bible clearly endorses eating meat, but it also endorses slavery and other clearly immoral behaviour. Buddhism's first precept does suggest that Buddhists today should not normally eat meat, but that does not mean it is immoral, just that Buddhists break their first precept if they eat meat. Law is right to repeat the point made by Plato more than 2,000 years ago in the Euthyphro, also a dialogue, that the teachings of religions and gods do not make things moral or immoral, but that such teachings require solid reasons to support them (Law, 2003, Appeals to the Bible sect., p. 136-7; Plato, trans. 1997).

So, why is Law wrong about the morality of eating meat? In the section titled "The Mentally Impaired", Law includes a long quotation from the philosopher Peter Singer, whose argument appears to support Law's answer to the argument presented by Mr. Wilson that the mental and other differences between humans and the animals that they eat is what makes it morally acceptable to enjoy eating them (2003, p. 128 - 130). However, in Animal Liberation, Singer actually uses the example Law quotes as part of a larger argument that is very different to Law's (2002, p.1 - 23). Singer was the first major philosopher to make a powerful argument that presents and argues against speciesism, which Law explains at the beginning of his dialogue; however, Singer acknowledges that there can be, that there must be, very real differences between humans and other animals, and that those differences are both relevant to, and do in fact justify, treating human animals differently to non-human animals, even though it is the relevant differences that justify the different treatment, not the mere fact of being a human or a non-human animal. That is, Singer would object right at the start of Law's dialogue, where Gemma's parents accept that there are no relevant differences between the numerous different types of animals: humans, apes, pigs, dogs, cows, chickens, and so on. There clearly are very substantial differences, and some of those differences are the kind that do justify different treatment of and moral distinctions amongst the various types of animal that inhabit the Earth. As Mr Wilson tells us: "turkeys are, frankly, pretty dim," whereas human beings are "highly intelligent creature[s]" with "a highly sophisticated range of emotions" (Law, 2003, p. 128). Gemma does not deny these facts about humans and turkeys, but instead answers her father's opposing argument with Singer's idea in the long quotation on page 130. It's a good answer, but not good enough.


to be continued... Can you guess where this argument might be going? Why do I think most people might dislike this answer to Law even more than they dislike Law's ideas?

Continued at "Law v. Singer: The Morality of Meat, Part II" (2008, December 20), above.
____________

References

Law, S. (2003). Carving the roast beast. In The Xmas Files (pp.124 - 140). London: Weidenfeld & Nicolson

Plato. Euthyphro. Gallop, D. (trans., 1997). In Plato: Defence of Socrates, Euthyphro, Crito (p. 1 - 23). Oxford: Oxford University Press.

Singer, P. (2002). Animal Liberation. New York: ECCO.

9 comments:

  1. I'm not sure I understand your essay enough or not. In your essay, there are something I disagree.

    What is "moral" ? In this question, I have tried to find the definition when I wrote my essay,"break first precept of Buddhism". First time I looked up on Longman Dictionary because it is easiest to find a definition, she say that "principles or standards of good behavior, especially in matters of sex", so how do I know what "standards" came from? How do I know what behavior is good or bad?

    In my opinion, the standard and good behavior come form particular culture, society and religions. Some part of culture derives from religions, Thai greeting is Wai that are came from Buddhism, for example. Therefore, Religions are a reliable guide to what is moral in particular society.

    In your essay, "Buddhism's first precept does suggest that Buddhists today should not normally eat meat", in class essay show that eating meat is not break the first precept of Buddhism; it's moral to eat meat.

    Buddhism is separated into 2 denominations that is "Hinayana" and "Mahayana". Most of Thais are Hinayana Buddhism. Some part of Thais are Mahayana that came from China, so today Buddhism in Thailand are distorted that Have not eaten meat, getting virtue. Consequently, "eating vegetable festival" (เทศการกินเจ) was occur in Thailand. But, no teaching eating meat is immoral or breaking precept.

    I think,in your essay,you try to find weak part of Law's dialog and argue in that point, because Law's dialog is rather strong. in some part, Law try to divide the argument into many parts and disprove each part to show reader he is right. But, if I combine the parts together, it will be so strong that Law not able to disprove.

    I found you use "So" to begin the sentence.
    (^_^)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The formal grammar rule is, "do not begin a sentence with the coordinating conjunction so". If it's not a coordinating conjunction, it might be OK, but the example that Mark has pointed out above is a coordinating conjunction. And it doesn't just begin a sentence, it's the first word in the 3rd paragraph! But I think it's OK there. It works well to introduce the question that we want to ask following on from the 2nd paragraph; unless I was writing something very formal, I would write it with that "so". If you had done the same in an essay, I might have commented on it, but in orange, not green. I would not have marked it wrong, nor would you lose any points in a TOEFL exam for showing that you really did know when it was acceptable to break the grammar rule that is given in Quest and older reference grammars.

    It was very observant of Mark to pick up my violation of the grammar rule, but it really was a deliberate violation.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mark raised a good questions: what does moral mean? During term, I tried to avoid this particular question, even though Am asked it right at the start in her first comment on Law's dialogue. When we were doing the essays with paragraphs of definition, I was careful to write them to completely avoid making the questions about morality; in particular, the question about the first precept in Buddhism and my answer to it said nothing at all about the moral questions.

    I think that religions are a reliable guide to what is accepted as moral in a particular society, but if you think of morality as being about what is really right and wrong, then that might not be the case. One definition of moral is "adhering to the code of behaviour that is considered right or acceptable" (Concise OED, 10th ed., 2.), and this sounds like Mark's definition from Longmans. However, the first, and stronger, definition given in the Concise OED [COED] is "concerned with the principles of right and wrong behaviour and the goodness or badness of human character," and this is the definition that Law is using: he is concerned with what is actually right and wrong, not simply what people happen to do. An example might help: at the start of the reign of the famous Thai king Chulalongkorn, slavery was a standard practise, it was accepted and therefore those who kept slaves were, according to the COED's second definition, behaving morally, they were doing what was standard at that time; however, the king realised that the institution of slavery as it existed was immoral and that it should be changed; that is, he went against the prevailing moral (COED definition 2) standards because he realised that they were not moral (COED definition 1). When we are talking about right and wrong, or good and bad, it is the first definition that we are using.

    Unfortunately, and another reason I tried to avoid getting into this very interesting discussion during term, there is also a common way of thinking that confuses the two very different definitions and ends up saying that that what is truly moral, as in right or good, is exactly the same as what is the standard accepted behaviour. A consequence of this idea would be that King Chulalongkorn acted immorally when he set about ending slavery in Thailand and making a lot of other changes that were, according to definition 1, very good, even though they were against the accepted standard at the time.

    Sorry to be so slack about finishing my answer. I do know what the rest of my argument is, and I'll try to write it up tomorrow. I've been enjoying not waking up at 5:00 AM, and an old friend from Australia who arrived a week ago has also been taking up a bit of my time.

    I haven't proofread this. I hope you don't find too many errors, other than teh, which I frequently mistype for the. MS Word very kingly corrects it automatically for me, but Blogger doesn't unless I use teh spell check tool, which is not available for comments.
    ___________________________

    Oops! This is the second time I've posted this comment. After posting the first one, I saw a spelling mistake in the 4th paragraph that was really serious: it make the meaning very unclear, and suggested a guess that was the exact opposite of what I meant. That sort of mistake would definitely lose marks in a TOEFL exam, and it's not one I would want to leave on display.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Since it's the dictionary I've included a link to on the sidebar, perhaps I should have used the Cambridge Advanced Learner's Dictionary to cite the different uses of the word moral. It's at http://dictionary.cambridge.org/define.asp?key=51857&dict=CALD

    For AEP students, the Cambridge Advanced Learner's Dictionary is much better than the Compact OED, although the latter is fine for a quick check. It's entry for moral is at http://www.askoxford.com/concise_oed/moral?view=uk in case you would like to compare the entries.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. "I do know what the rest of my argument is, and I'll try to write it up tomorrow.", in 4th paragraph.

    Actually, I didn't intend to check your writing. I think you are almost right because it is your language. Moreover, I very bad in grammar and how to use vocabularies.

    And, I remember your teaching because I like to use "So" to begin sentences. When I wrote your assignment, I am always careful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's OK to break the usual rules if you know what you're doing and why you're doing it.

    I do know that I do it at times, even beginning a paragraph with so. In this sentence, the first do is not wrong. It isn't needed, and isn't usual; it's used to add emphasis.
    "I like cookies." - that's nice, but nothing special.
    "I do like cookies." - stronger and more emphatic, although the exact type of emphasis would only be clear from the context.

    In ¶.4, I was emphasising the fact that although I've been lazy and haven't finished my explanation yet (I've also been busy relaxing), it's not because I don't know how to continue my argument, although it is taking more words to state than I had planned.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ar! Thank you. I have just known using "do" in this case. I have found, in grammar book, only to use with a negative and a question sentence.

    ReplyDelete
  9. See Swan, § 159.3 for more on do used to add emphasis.

    ReplyDelete

Before you click the blue "Publish" button for your first comment on a post, check ✔ the "Notify me" box. You want to know when your classmates contribute to a discussion you have joined.

A thoughtful response should normally mean writing for five to ten minutes. After you state your main idea, some details, explanation, examples or other follow up will help your readers.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.