Thursday 8 August 2013

Bike or Drive?

Is it a good idea to have cycled lane? Of course, it is safety and planned very well for cyclist. There is one city that I can think of that use a bike, Amsterdam, Netherlands. They are using it even though they are old or young. What are the reasons?


Colourful bicycles parked, Holland

According to “Why is cycling so popular in the Netherlands?”, there are two main reasons that Dutch ride a bicycle; which are the raising number of motor vehicles that killed people on the road, and the middle east oil crisis in 1973. Therefore, Dutch government starts to use a bike by improving infrastructure by expand cycle path, clearly mark, fixing road surface, and sign light for cyclist.

I went to Amsterdam two years ago, I was so impressed that more than 40% of people in this city are cycling. Some people dress beautifully, but they ride. They ride on high heels, sneaker, boot, flip flop, rain boot and so on. Even though they are going to the club or going to the party, they ride to their destination. That's why I saw very few people overweight. The strict rules and super infrastructure make cyclists might have a few accident. And you never see them wearing the helmet, and some bike doesn't have a brake. Except people cycling was impressed me, the weather there is very fresh and nice. Almost half of people in this city bike, so the pollution automatically low.

In Bangkok the pollution is very dense, and the dust is everywhere. If Thais people are concerning more about the weather, atmosphere, and pollution, Bangkok will be the better place to live. When I was in primary school, I always ride my bicycle to somewhere near my house, but now I cannot do that because of the pollution that will make me sick, the broken road that will make me fall, and the truck or other motor vehicles that might cause me an accident. In contrast, there are many people that obsess on bicycle. Last week, my friend got an accident because the truck doesn’t saw his bike beside the road, and the truck hit my friend. Fortunately, my friend had a little bit traumas on his left and right leg.
__________
Reference

Why is cycling so popular in the Netherlands?. (2013, August 7) BBC News Magazine. Retrieved August 8, 2013 from http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-23587916

4 comments:

  1. I would not be so brave as to ride a bicycle on the streets of Bangkok. I never use motorcycle taxis for the same reason. It's not that I think the motorcycle taxis are reckless or bad riders, but that they have no control over the cars and trucks around them, who drive very badly. Part of the bad driving is probably due to drug use, mainly alcohol, but I suspect that there are other forces at play also.

    A pity really. Perhaps one lane on all major roads could be set aside for bicycles only? This would both make bicycling much safer by removing the other traffic, and it would also make the use of cars much less attractive since the traffic jams would be much worse.

    On the whole, I think more and worse traffic jams are a good thing. But public buses should also have their dedicated lanes on roads so that ordinary people who sensibly choose not to drive are not punished for their responsible decision.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The bicycles in the photograph look very cheerful. Was that what it was like in Amsterdam when you visited?

    (I have to rush this morning - my weekend classes start at 8:00 AM!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bicycle models are like that in the picture, but just older than that. They're really nice bicycle.

      Delete
  3. I wish we have less cars and more bicycles in Bangkok. Also, I wish there is a better public transportation, like buses, metro and sky trains, so there is less traffic jam. It's impossible to have cycle lane because we can not effort losing any space on the road due to heavy amount of cars. But, if there are not that many cars on the road, we can dedicate some space for bicycle which will make it safer to ride in Bangkok.

    ReplyDelete

Before you click the blue "Publish" button for your first comment on a post, check ✔ the "Notify me" box. You want to know when your classmates contribute to a discussion you have joined.

A thoughtful response should normally mean writing for five to ten minutes. After you state your main idea, some details, explanation, examples or other follow up will help your readers.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.