Friday 2 August 2013

Hard times

What is OCD? People might questions, and for some might never heard of this disorder. Many people around the world have been identified having this disorder and many people don’t know that they have these problems.

Let's find out what is it?

Josh Cannings

According to “Living with OCD”, Josh Cannings 22 years old man is the one of million people who suffers from symmetry OCD or obsessive compulsive disorder, which his symptom is touching things with his left and right hand, and he has diagnose when he was 12 years old. The cause of OCD cannot be identified these days; however, research community though that it could be cause by blood flow in the brain, the lack of chemical serotonin, and the environmental factor.

Obsessive Compulsive disorder (OCD) is an anxiety disorder characterized by uncontrollable though and behavior that involves both obsessions and compulsions.
 
I never heard of OCD until I watched the documentary on the discovery channel that many people having a strange behavior like this. On the show, it was a man who suffers from OCD and he always doing things twice or more, for example, he turns on and turns off the stove more than 5 times everyday to make sure that it is completely turn off. Sometimes even he gone out for work, and he realized that he might forget to turn off the stove, he backs home as fast as possible every times to check the stove. And it causes him the problem with his work, and he got fired. He said he couldn’t go out for work because of his disorder that to concern about things might happen badly in his house. He has to stay home all day and checking every electronic stuffs in his house every 2-3 hours.

After I watched this documentary, my first thought was I might have this disorder because I always lock the car door twice or more. When I lock my car door with remote control twice or more, I always recheck by pulling the car door again to recheck. My sister always laughs at me when I did this in front of her.

__________
Reference

Wallis, L. (2013, July 30). Living with OCD. BBC News Magazine. Retrieved August 2, 2013 from http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-23412085

6 comments:

  1. It reminds me of when I was a child and used to obsess about balancing left and right body acts: if I hit my left ankle by accident, for example, I would deliberately hit the right to keep "balanced". And sometimes today, I still catch myself doing the same thing.

    I don't think my obsession caused any particular problems for me, but it does seem the same sort of thing that afflicts Cannings - I'm glad I don't have anything like that messing up my daily life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And thank you Ploy for helping me meet my daily quota or two or more response comments.

      Delete
    2. I think that if what you have done doesn't affect you daily life, it isn't count as a disorder:)

      Delete
  2. Have just been relaxing with a Hercule Poirot episode on YouTube, and his OSC's reminded me of this. They are part of the charm of this brilliant detective created by novelist Agatha Christie almost a century ago.

    I enjoy them in my free time: a good selection at https://www.youtube.com/user/herculepoirotseries, where the same user also offers an excellent selection of the wonderful Miss Marple episodes, also based on Christie novels.

    And what has Ploy's post reminded you of? But I've done my two comments for today, so can relax with some more Poirot.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also check my car door twice, walk away and come back to recheck. Sometimes I lock my house, drive away for couple minutes and drive back to recheck. It is not that I have a disorder but I just simply forget. I think I need to concentrate more on what I'm doing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I guess that insisting on a morning coffee doesn't count as OCD. Right?

    It's just another type of drug addiction. But addictions do seem to me to have something in common with OCDs. Both display a need to repeat certain patterns, and subjects become stressed if they are prevented from repeating the behaviour.

    And that's my first response comment for today.
    How many have you written so far?

    ReplyDelete

Before you click the blue "Publish" button for your first comment on a post, check ✔ the "Notify me" box. You want to know when your classmates contribute to a discussion you have joined.

A thoughtful response should normally mean writing for five to ten minutes. After you state your main idea, some details, explanation, examples or other follow up will help your readers.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.