Wednesday 27 April 2016

Do you tweet?

Source background
According to "Twitter shares plunge on weak earnings" (2016), social networking giant Twitter has failed to reverse its poor growth record over recent months. Although the latest figures show an increase of 5 million users a month, this is a small number for such a firm and follows on a decline reported three months earlier. The BBC News report says that this has caused worried investors to sell shares in the company, which is trying to compete against more new offerings from Facebook.

_______________________________________ 

My Yes/No question is:
Do you tweet?

My answer is:
Yes, but mainly passively these days.
I signed up for Twitter many years ago, but rarely used it. Then a couple of years ago I tweeted regularly. I hate writing abbreviated versions of English, so it was challenging, but almost like an artistic endeavour, to write well-formed sentences and ideas in 140 characters or less. My usual writing style is a not particular short, so I think it was also good discipline for me. A couple of other places where I write also impose strict limits on length, which forces me to be much more careful about the word choice to make every word work to communicate with readers.

My professors at university had a much more flexible approach to work limits. When they said 5 - 8 thousand words, I could usually get away with 5+8 thousand, although it was a good idea to get permission first. Busy readers prefer less rather than more words, and good writing makes every word earn its place, which reminds me of my favourite English novel, Jane Austen's 200 year-old masterpiece Pride and Prejudice.

At around 300 pages in my various editions, it's not particularly long as novels go, but Austen makes almost every sentence serve several purposes at the same time: showing her characters, developing the story, entertaining with witty language, and so on. Every word seems perfectly chosen to make brilliant sentence after brilliant sentence, and each sentence works with every other sentence in its paragraph and chapter to unify everything. When we get to the end, we can see how cleverly Austen predicts it in her famous opening sentence: "It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune, must be in want of a wife." It was because they copied Austen's language and story so very faithfully that the BBC production starring Colin Firth (whose name I have trouble remembering - it's more like Mr. Darcy sometimes plays an actor called Colin First who has also played other, less memorable, roles) is so wonderful. It's one of the best TV productions ever made, largely because it copies so carefully from its source.

I wonder what Jane Austen would make of Twitter? Some of her sentences are not short.
___________
Reference
Twitter shares plunge on weak earnings. (2016, April 27). BBC News. Retrieved from http://www.bbc.com/news/business-36147138

8 comments:

  1. When I wrote "mainly passively," I meant that I don't actually post on my Twitter account. One of my Facebook pages is set up to automatically post to Twitter for me.

    When someone replies to a Tweet, I sometimes then tweet as well. And while I'm there I have a quick a look and occasionally post.

    I am curious to see how Twitter goes over the next few years. Will it still be big in five years time?

    I'm confident that FB will still be going strong, but less so Twitter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have heard about twitter for a several years. Twitter is one of the most famous social network site in Thailand. However, I don't follow that trendy social. I have never tweeted. I do have my Facebook account and Line Id. which are enough for me. Personally, I am not the social network addicted. It pretty waste of time spend your whole day tweet on things.

    ReplyDelete
  3. No, I don't. when it started, I signed in it. but, I am not familiar with it. so, I don't use it. why do people use it? and how purpose?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, I do. However, I'm nor usually tweet it. I tweet around one time per three month which much more lower than my post on Facebook.

    I more addict with Facebook than Twitter as two reasons.
    Firstly, most of my friends are on Facebook. Secondly, every content Twitter are come and go very fast.

    ReplyDelete
  5. No, I don't because it's not necessary for me to use Twitter. For example, when I want to send my homework to my friends or teachers, I can turn in it via e-mail or Facebook. In addition, if I desire to get new information, such as daily news or new research, I will use Facebook to find out new things.

    ReplyDelete
  6. For me, I do not tweet. I sometime share some interesting issue funny post on the internet. I feel that it is quite personal and sensitive to post individiual opinion in public, and it may cause problem to the writer.

    ReplyDelete
  7. No, I don't. I'm not in. I see twitter as a news headline gatherer than social media. I think it's for very geek person or very specific type of fan like K-pop fangirl,who we called Ting in Thai. Maybe I just find no-one to follow passionately.

    ReplyDelete
  8. To be frank, I’ve never tweeted at all in spite of having Twitter’s account for several years; moreover, I rarely read any posts as well. My reason is not the same as yours. Rather, I think this kind of social media and its style does not appeal to me as much as others such as Facebook or Line. I am also sort of a passive user who seldom posts anything on my social media, but sometimes comments on my friend’s posts.

    I have an account because of no special reason, just maybe following the social trend. Do you guys think currently we have too many social media?

    ReplyDelete

Before you click the blue "Publish" button for your first comment on a post, check ✔ the "Notify me" box. You want to know when your classmates contribute to a discussion you have joined.

A thoughtful response should normally mean writing for five to ten minutes. After you state your main idea, some details, explanation, examples or other follow up will help your readers.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.