Tuesday 30 April 2019

Welcome to RW2a and to our class blog

What I read

Although I've read a lot in preparation for it, this post has a different purpose than summarizing and responding to something I've read. I want to welcome you to your EAP class on Monday and Wednesday mornings.

So, welcome.
___________________________________ 

My response 

Thank you for joining our Saturday class in Reading and Writing for academic purposes. I hope you find the next four weeks useful, productive, also challenging, and perhaps even fun. 
___________________________________ 

My question

As you can see, online discussion makes an appearance early on in Unit 1 of Skillful (Bixby & Scanlon, 2013, p. 9) and there is a more extensive coverage of this common part of modern university courses on page 66. 


Click on them to
see images full size.
Also, in her foreword to students on page 6, the series editor, Dorothy E. Zemach, gives some strategies for successful learning, one of which is to "be an independent learner" (in Bixby & Scanlon, 2013). This class blog is one way for us to do this. As Zemach suggests in her comment, it is one way for you to "find and then share information about ... different topics." Some of the topics you will write about here are the unit topics, but I also Zemach's suggestion that "reading for pleasure and using the Internet in English" are important, so your writing here will not be limited to the topics of the units that we study over the next six weeks. 


  • Do you agree with Zemach and the authors of our book and myself? Is a class blog a useful addition to our class this term? (This is two sentences, but it's only one question for you to respond to.) 

You can respond as soon as you accept the invitation I will soon send you to join this blog. 

Writing tip

When you write your comment, imagine that readers have not seen the question you are answering. This forces you to make your work an independent piece of writing, one that makes sense by itself. 

___________________________________ 

Reference

  • Bixby, J. & Scanlon, J. (2013). Skillful Reading & Writing, Student's Book 3. Oxford: Macmillan Education 

8 comments:

  1. My comment is very short because I've already said what I think in my blog post above. But there are some other benefits to moving some of our discussion from group work to a class blog, which you will see in a minute.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I do. I think the best way to improve English is to use it, so we can be better at writing skill through this blogger. Blogger is a good and free site for students to practice their writing. We can read others' writing using this site, so it improve our reading skill too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. In my opinion, it's a good idea to teach the student by using the technologies to help the student to understand the lesson.The technologies are given us a convenient way.For example,using the computer to see the lesson in the book so we don't carry the book to class sometime

    ReplyDelete
  4. I totally agree with class blog because it supports our learning outside the classroom.

    ReplyDelete
  5. In my opinion, it’s a good idea to use technologies as a part of the education. With traditional style of learning,It improves reading and writing skill gradually. When combined with tech, it can improves faster and more comfortable, furthermore, learner would be excited to be able to use these particular things in class. We can assign our project online, type words in the middle of sentence without erase all sentence.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, I agree with this idea. I think it will be useful for students like me because I can check the blog anytime and anywhere I want. Also, if I would like to find some information in the book, I don't have to open my book. I can just visit this blog. It's definitely helpful and useful for me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. From Zemach statments. I agree with the way of being independence learner and find and share with the others. by using internet such as this blogger is a good way to study.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes, I agree about this suggestion that this classroom blog is very useful and easy to use for student like me. It supports students to learn and review the lesson whenever they want.

    ReplyDelete

Before you click the blue "Publish" button for your first comment on a post, check ✔ the "Notify me" box. You want to know when your classmates contribute to a discussion you have joined.

A thoughtful response should normally mean writing for five to ten minutes. After you state your main idea, some details, explanation, examples or other follow up will help your readers.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.