Sunday 15 December 2019

How playing an instrument benefits your brain

Summary 

In the TED Talk How playing an instrument benefits your brain, Dr. Anita Collin says that There is a recent research on playing music has a positive effect on our brains. This research was conducted by a neurologist. They installed scientific equipment that call fMRI and PET scanners to people who were listening to music. They saw brain activity similar to small fireworks. But when scientists switched from brain of people who were listening to music to people playing music. They saw the little backyard fireworks became a fireworks in celebration, which can be interpreted as while listening to music causes the brain to start working at a certain level, but playing music is equal to a full-body brain workout.




____________________________________ 

Response 

I am interested in this research because I like playing music and I'm also a music teacher. Knowing the benefits of playing music that is good for brain development will greatly benefit me in my teaching career. I find that parents often ask "What are the benefits of playing music?". This research gives me useful and reliable information that benefit to give advice to student parents.

When reading exam books, I often listen to instrumental music, which helps me to relax and remember more information. I tend to not listen to music that have lyrics while reading books because the lyrics have distract my reading, I often sing along when I listen. Aside from that, I also had personal experiences that made me agree with this research that says playing music is a brain exercise. I feel dizzy after every long hour piano practice. This dizzy feeling is similar to the feeling after reading an exam or after studying ielts class. This dizziness, I think it is caused by the brain working until exhaustion.

If you not ever playing a musical instrument, I advise you or your child to try playing musical instruments because I think listening to music and playing music will benefit everyone. Especially in brain development. In addition to developing brain Music training also has other benefits, such as discipline practice, expression in public places, creating little happiness in the family etc.

1 comment:

  1. I read the TED talk before, it fascinated me.
    I am exhausted when I play music. We have to be faithful to a music score including tone, rhythm, dynamics, harmony and so on.
    This is a hard work, and I can feel playing instruments stimulates lots of parts of brain.
    Friends of mine, who play music well, are very bright, sharp and smart. I really knew from them that playing music can develop brains and minds.

    ReplyDelete

Before you click the blue "Publish" button for your first comment on a post, check ✔ the "Notify me" box. You want to know when your classmates contribute to a discussion you have joined.

A thoughtful response should normally mean writing for five to ten minutes. After you state your main idea, some details, explanation, examples or other follow up will help your readers.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.