Monday 29 March 2021

Welcome to EAP RW4 unit 3 and to our class blog

Welcome to Skillful 

Click to see
images full size.

Welcome, and thank you for registering for the class this term.

Our aim is to cover all of unit 3 of Skillful 4: Reading and Writing, which we should be able to do in our 16 hours of classes over the next five weeks (there is a one-week break for Songkran in the middle). In addition to your paper book, there is also a very useful digital version of the text, and an online workbook for further practice. 

If you have not already done so, please register for the digital version of Skillful, and then join both the online class and the online Workbook class, for which there are short presentations posted on Classroom. 

As with the Google Apps for Education that we will use and this class blog, it might take a couple of sessions for you to become familiar with these tools, but I am confident that you will find that initial effort worthwhile. By moving some of the work to out-of-class activities, we can then focus our class time on preparation for and discussion of the skills you will practice at home, or wherever you like.


____________________________________ 

Introduction to students — page 6 

The digital version of  the
book is very convenient
In her introduction to students on page 6, the series consultant, Dorothy E. Zemach, gives some strategies for successful learning, one of which is to "be an independent learner" (in Rogers & Warwick, 2018). As Zemach suggests we do in her comment, it is one way for you to "practice English outside of class." Some of the topics you will write about here are the unit topics, but I also like Zemach's suggestion that "reading for pleasure and using the Internet in English" are important, so your writing here will not be limited to the topics of the units that we study over the next four weeks.

 
Another point that I like in her introduction is Zemach's emphasis on practice, for which she suggests that we do "a little bit each day." The research on this is strong: regular deliberate practice in small chunks of time is far more effective than long sessions once or twice a week (Schwartz et al. 2016, ch D). Since we meet twice a week, and on consecutive days, this is especially important to bear in mind.   
____________________________________ 

Question

As Warwick and Rogers often do, giving readers a specific question or two to respond to is often an effective way to engage readers. It helps to check that we understand what we have read, that we have thought about the ideas critically, and to that we can apply them to our own of more general situations. 
  • Which one of the five strategies that Zemach introduces on page 6 do you think will be most useful for you to focus on over the next five weeks? 
It's good if you think all five are useful, but this question asks you pick one of them, so you will have to write a little more to explain your choice of that one over the others. 
____________________________________ 

References 

10 comments:

  1. According to Zemach's five strategies, I think the most useful way for me over the next five weeks is practice. Now, I find it hard to make clear and informative sentences because my vocabulary collections are quite limited. Also, I hardly attempt to use new vocabulary in my contexts as I feel unconfident and fear of awkwardness. However, over the next five weeks I am going to memorize and use new vocabularies in this unit to expand my ideas and give more details of I will say. I always believe that practice makes perfect and I believe that it will work well this time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Earth, I enjoyed reading your thoughtful reflections on Zemach's suggested strategies. Vocabulary is on my list of things to look at this evening. Blogging is a less formal place to try out new vocabulary and experiment with grammar.

      Delete
  2. Although Zemach suggested five strategies on successful learning, I've found that the most effective one is practice what I've learned from the English class. This is in line with what Xun Kuang, a Chinese philosopher, mentioned that “tell me and I forget, teach me and I may remember, involve me and I learn." As I realized the important of practice, I usually find a way and chance to use what I’ve from the English class. For example, when I learn new vocabulary, I usually try to use it by memorizing it and writing a sentence. By doing so, I am able to remember the new vocabulary and whenever I want to express my idea the new vocabulary is available in my brain and ready to be used—this is also applied with gamma.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the quotation from the Chinese philosopher. Getting involved in something is a great way to learn; it provides motivation. That's why the IELTS and TOEFL guides recommend choosing articles, talks and so on that interest you so that you get involved in what you're doing, and respond. Responding requires involvement. And of course, just learning something, say the eight-step writing process, won't be much use unless you practice it by actually writing, for example short comments on a our class blog, where responding to the ideas of classmates is involvement.

      Delete
  3. All the strategies in page 6 are useful for learning English but if I have to pick one which is the most useful for me is practice. I think leaning language need to practice as much as possible to be familiar with it and from my experience I think the best way for me to learn new vocabulary is to use it frequently. Moreover, I find that the online book has many exercise to do, so I think it will be very useful for me.
    From my point of view, practice strategy on page 6 mention about learning vocabulary but the word practice I mean is practice all the skills which are listening, reading, writing and speaking. And because of the online book, which is easy for me to work or do exercise I think I can practice more often.
    I believe in the famous quote Practice makes perfect but for me, I need time to be perfect by improve my skills. However, I will try my best to learn and do exercise in the next five week in the class.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Gubgib. I also like the digital exercises that Skillful makes available for you to practice. But good as those are for checking understanding and correctness, I think that practice using them to read or listen to something and then respond to the ideas is more useful, which is one reason we write regularly here.

      Delete
  4. Referring to Zemach's five strategies in the book, be an independent learner is the most useful for me to focus on over the next five weeks because the knowledge is not in a class only. We should look for chances to study and improve our skills outside the class and take responsibility for our own learning as well. We will be curious and engage in what we are learning. Think what we can do to practice and learn English in our routine life and be patient with it. I set the goals to study abroad, then I try to use English as much as I can. I try to read only English on the labels of BTS station or any other kind of transportation and speak English with my co-workers every day. Furthermore, I also find researches to read because we will gain new information and knowledge in another field and improve English in the same time. These help me improve a lot. Thus, be an independent learner is the most useful for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think practice has been the popular choice, but I'm inclined to agree with Nat that being an independent learner, and accepting responsibility for your learning, is at least as important. And these days, there are an enormous number of resources available on the Internet, among others: newspapers to read and to often comment on, TED Talks, online discussion forums, and of course NetFlix.

      Delete
  5. Zemach's five strategies are great for increasing everyone's language skills. At the same time in my daily life, my english skill is useless. It makes the ability to retrieve vocabulary for communication. Is going to be quite bad. But I think within five weeks. I will strive to make the classroom experience with that strategy to improve English skill.

    ReplyDelete


  6. According to Zemach's five strategies on page 6, what I believe is the most important tactor to be successful in learning languages or anything is to be an independent learner and the autonomous one. Being an autonomous learner, the learner can study at any time or anywhere, and they can take every opportunity that comes to enhance their skills. Moreover, having determination to study is also the key to success. It will help us all do exactly like what Zemach inform us on page 6 automatically. We will do everything starting from self-preparation in learning, reviewing what we have learnt for each class, being active in taking part in class activities, practicing lots of exercise and so on. By being determined for the goal of mastery in language, it will truly allow every language learner to reach their potential in learning and to reach the proficiency in using it as they expected.

    ReplyDelete

Before you click the blue "Publish" button for your first comment on a post, check ✔ the "Notify me" box. You want to know when your classmates contribute to a discussion you have joined.

A thoughtful response should normally mean writing for five to ten minutes. After you state your main idea, some details, explanation, examples or other follow up will help your readers.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.