Sunday 1 August 2021

Opal: Why ambiverts are better leaders


In “ Why ambiverts are better leaders'’ 2021, Bryan Lufkin, mentioned the advantages of being ambivert in terms of leadership and the workplace. He says  we know that introverts and extroverts have their strengths. However,  a study from Adam Grant, a professor of psychology at the University of Pennsylvania, shows contrast to society long  perceiving the extrovert’s demeanour as CEOs. The result makes it clearer by 340 call centre employees that the most sales revenue were from true ambiverts, whereas the worst were both extremely on either side. Grant also writes in the study: "Because they naturally engage in a flexible pattern of talking and listening, ambiverts are likely to express sufficient assertiveness and enthusiasm to persuade and close a sale."  Similarly to Karl Moore’s interview in his coming book, We Are All Ambiverts Now. "What [the pandemic] means is that the CEO needs to listen a lot – a great leader is a great listener, But also need[s] to be able to give the inspiring 'guys, I am confident we can make it through this crisis."   Adapting this useful character is doable and very beneficial by simply making an imitation of your admired person. “It's not just CEOs who benefit from ambiversion either,”  Alisha Cohn says. Generally, either side indicates how you prefer to energise so that this adaptation can down your mental effectiveness when against its nature. It is important to refill your mental energy by doing invigorating things during breaks, such as reading.

Reference 

 Lufkin, B. (2021, March 23rd). Why ambiverts are better leaders. BBC. https://www.bbc.com/worklife/article/20210319-why-ambiverts-are-better-leaders 

2 comments:

  1. Hi Opal, thank you for your interesting news article. According to the topic, I consider myself as an extrovert, because I energize by being with people, of course nice people. I usually feel low from time to time, so if I don' t work, I attend some activities that I can participant with people. For example, recent I have attended English classes at AUA and have some interesting discussions with the teachers and classmates there. Another example is that I used to attend meditation class at a temple in Bangkok, and I would exchange my practices with the students there. Moreover, I used to participate in a cycling club and a swimming club and would have very good times with my friends and colleagues there. However, the people around me think that I am an ambivert, because the activities that I used to attend are individual sports.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do agree with this article. Even though I am not really sure what is ambivert means. Being flexible is the initial character that the leader should have. Due to teamwork atmosphere, we may face many problems with the different attitudes. The person who can listen patiently, give us feedback with a reason, and have more flexibility idea to help team solve a problem are needed in the team. This type of people can improve the organization to work better.

    ReplyDelete

Before you click the blue "Publish" button for your first comment on a post, check ✔ the "Notify me" box. You want to know when your classmates contribute to a discussion you have joined.

A thoughtful response should normally mean writing for five to ten minutes. After you state your main idea, some details, explanation, examples or other follow up will help your readers.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.