Monday 8 November 2021

Phum: The business world


              A career in journalism is a kind of occupation that I have never thought of before. It doesn’t mean that I think it is not a great job or not a high-paid job, but a really outstanding journalist should have a broad vision, forward thinking, and be able to quickly summarize the main idea, which skills I lack. Anyway, if I have a chance to become a journalist publishing in the
New York Times, a business column would be the one I would choose to write because the business field is the one I have become familiar with since studying at university in the past.

After I had browsed the business column, I found that various topics were covered in this section, including the Coronavirus pandemic, climate change, economics, politics, and more. Even the publication of some legislation issues was also included in this section; for example, the government's measure to raise taxes dramatically affects international trade and investment. Almost every movement in our world is reported in the business area, which is very fascinating. Furthermore, when I was a student at university, I studied a business major at bachelor's degree level, so I could say it's something I have spent plenty of time with. By studying business, I have learned a lot about understanding its mechanics, demand and supply, how to confront changing trends, and how to predict the trends in the market so that I have realized how important business is. 

Another reason is why this type of news is critical for traders and investors and needs to be up-to-date. If we understand the mechanism of the business market, we are able to make some profit on it. Let's suppose that some big company called "A" takes over another and you can predict exactly what is going to happen. Then you buy the stock of A company, waiting until the takeover process is done. The stock price in hand should rise by double or triple. That is one way to make a profit. It is also necessary for the owner's business to predict changes in customer purchases. It should mitigate negative effects if you're in a downtrend. In the opposite direction, it might help accelerate your success in an upward trend.

One thing that makes business more interesting is that business never stops but changes quickly every day. It is impossible to worry about a lack of content which you are going to write about, and this kind of context is always attractive to readers. Moreover, reading business columns not only gives you financial perspective or market trends, but it also is an interesting topic  for chit chat at lunchtime with your family and friends. It is better than bringing up a sensitive topic such as sexuality, religious beliefs, or political preferences. By taking this on in the conversation, you will have an exchange of information with the other person, expanding your vision and many perspectives on the issue.

Guidelines on investment in Japan and Japanese culture are especially interesting for me to write about, which topics relate to the business field. After I had recently studied the adaptation between Japanese and Thai employees in a Thai context, I found that there is a contrast in culture between Thais and Japanese working together within the organization. If I could declare and make readers understand the differences in both background cultures in The New York Times, it would help to encourage Thais and Japanese to coordinate more smoothly.

Have you tried to read something about business yet? Let's try to catch up with the business world. You might be surprised at how business revolves around us. Even if you are not a businessman or have your own business, it always expands your perspective, broadens your vision, and opens new possibilities for you. Besides that, you also have a topic for a little chit chat with your friend.


2 comments:

  1. I’m not really interested in business or economics in general, but I agree with you that it is very useful knowledge. I’m forced to read this book about basic economy because it’s in my curriculum, and since I’ve read it, I think economy or business in general is very beneficial, but I’m having a hard time understanding most of the rules and concepts, so I think your column might be helpful for me. I also have seen that business is all around us. A high school that is near my home has a Business Arts Programme for students who are interested in business or economic related fields. Its a very interesting program, but the tuition fee is very high.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Phum, I really like what you've written about what you would like to write for The New York Times, as it reminded me of the time when I was a student at university and when I used to work in the banking industry, which are the great times of my life. I think I feel more liberal when I was in university than I am at work. I missed that freedom that I could express and exchange every idea and opinion with my professors and classmates, and this led me to the idea that I wanted to work as a journalist.

    ReplyDelete

Before you click the blue "Publish" button for your first comment on a post, check ✔ the "Notify me" box. You want to know when your classmates contribute to a discussion you have joined.

A thoughtful response should normally mean writing for five to ten minutes. After you state your main idea, some details, explanation, examples or other follow up will help your readers.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.