Monday 8 November 2021

Yujin: The Recommendations

 

The New York Times has been a staple news source for many generations, and many all over the world read it. Of course, I have also enjoyed reading some of its issues in my house; however, to be a reader is a different story from being a writer. Therefore, if I had a column in the New York Times, I would write music, movie, and book recommendations, and name it “The Recommendations”.

First of all, you may wonder why I would write about music recommendations. Well, shortly, I like music. My first memory was my father playing Johann Pachelbel on a CD before I went to sleep, and since I was  a baby, I would sing nursery rhymes all the time, and if I could not, I would hum softly even if everyone was annoyed at me. My family would also play songs whenever they could in the house, which unconsciously introduced me to many genres, such as oldies, classicals, and Chinese’s classics. Now, I listen to music whenever I have the opportunity to, even if I’m doing my work. Therefore, you could say that music has cultivated a big part of my life. If I had a chance, I would recommend anything from jazz, and classical music, to Hip-Hop, pop, and rock, including some of Pachelbel pieces such as Pachelbel's Canon. Mostly because they would attract more people, and I would make more money, but also because I like to explore new music and genres and share it with people.

I would also write about movie recommendations in “The Recommendations” column. Again, my family played a big part in my love of movies. We would watch one every week if we had the time, and it wasn’t very often, but when we had the time, we would watch something, and then critique it. While my father and mother had a more systematic approach of criticizing movies, my brother and I would critique them heartlessly. We would have a lot of interesting yet exciting conversations, which often ended up in some shouting and yelling. I would recommend any movie in my column, and then critique it, adding other people’s opinions into the column also. This would make it more interesting than having only one opinion in an article. I would also probably have a special section for my favorite movies of all time, such as Forrest Gump, Castle in the Sky, and so on.

Finally, I would write about book recommendations in my column. I would have a book recommendation posted once a month which is the minimum time because on average, I need at least one month to finish one book. Like movie recommendations, I would add other reader’s opinions to make a more dynamic article. I would have special sections organized into different book categories, such as Sci-fi, fiction, non-fiction, or children’s books, all of which I like to read.

            To conclude, I would make my column a recommendation of a variety of books, movies, and music. It may seem a bit basic, but I like all of these things. Naturally, if I had the opportunity to write in the NYT, I would write about something I like rather than politics or business, which I am not interested in.

1 comment:

  1. The recommendation column is interesting. I think you have listened to a lot of music in many genres. Do you play any musical instruments? I have tried guitar and drums since high school. I found that harder than I thought and I found something more interesting, so I quit. Now, I only listen during my workout. The rest of the time, I spared for movie.

    ReplyDelete

Before you click the blue "Publish" button for your first comment on a post, check ✔ the "Notify me" box. You want to know when your classmates contribute to a discussion you have joined.

A thoughtful response should normally mean writing for five to ten minutes. After you state your main idea, some details, explanation, examples or other follow up will help your readers.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.