Wednesday 5 August 2009

Jen's Dream: A Response by Peter

In the "Supernatural Dreams" section of the Dream Doctor, Jen describes a dream where a friend of hers comes back to visit her. It is not a pleasant dream. Jen's dead friend is threatening and unfriendly, which scares Jen, who is saved by her boyfriend.
The Dream Doctor's interpretation is that her dream means that Jen feels bad that she has continued to live when her friend died at the very young age of 22.
The first I wanted to know was how did Jen's friend die. Did she die a violent death? Was she killed in an accident? It surprised me that the Dream Doctor did not ask this because I think it is important. He does ask whether or not the friend died in a bathroom, but only as a note. This suggests that the Dream Doctor thinks that how Jen's friend died is not important, but I don't agree. I think it is very important.
I wrote the above before class this morning, but didn't have time to finish. The other thing that struck me as I was reading the Dream Doctor's reply to Jen was an error in his grammar. It isn't really serious, but I think he should have corrected it: the first sentence of the second paragraph of his reply is a statement, not a question, so it should end with a full stop, not a question mark. I thought the wrong punctuation made a long and complex sentence even more confusing. A couple of other mistakes were not important. Although I've commented on the grammar, I don't think you need to do that, and I wouldn't normally, but it struck me as an annoyance when I was reading his reply, so I decided to include a comment on it in my response.
It's also useful for your readers' to make the name of your source a link. Use the Link button on the blogger menu to insert a link to the web page. It's the button shown here on the right. I used it in my first sentence above and in my reference below. If you click on those links, the page on Ask the Dream Doctor that has Jen's letter and the Dream Doctor's interpretation will open.
__________
References
Jen & McPhee, C. (2009). Supernatural Dreams. Ask the Dream Doctor. Retrieved August 4, 2009 from http://www.dreamdoctor.com/super/afterdeath4.shtml

No comments:

Post a Comment

Before you click the blue "Publish" button for your first comment on a post, check ✔ the "Notify me" box. You want to know when your classmates contribute to a discussion you have joined.

A thoughtful response should normally mean writing for five to ten minutes. After you state your main idea, some details, explanation, examples or other follow up will help your readers.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.