Sunday 19 June 2011

Remember Kindergarten?


We are all at the age where Kindergarten is a long gone history. We couldn't careless what they are teaching now in a Kindergarten, at least until you have a child going to one. However, this discussion from the Room of Debate of the New York Times called, "Who's ready for Kindergarten?" caught my eyes, as I just listened to my father discussed something similar just the other day.

In "Who's ready for Kindergarten?”, the ideas seem to have arisen around a question; does age matter when it comes to starting kindergarten? When children are off of preschool and into a real education system that is kindergarten, some of them are 5 years old while some are only 4. At such an early age, some parents fear that it could be difficult for their children to keep up with the older peers. This fear might proved to be wrong, as Robert C. Pianta, the dean of the University of Virginia's Curry School of Education, states in his argument that it is true that children’s readiness and skills can be differ when they start kindergarten but what really matters is not the cut off or entry date. He thinks that, due to the variation of the kids, the effort to narrow the gap of variation in children should be started before Kindergarten, thus, preschool should be more effective. Beth Graue, a professor of early childhood education at the University of Wisconsin Madison, said being the oldest in the group is a temporary advantage since readiness of children is relative. It depends heavily on the class to make every child included and the development kicks off there. While Mary Benson McMullen, a professor of early childhood education at Indiana University-Bloomington, goes beyond that and compares the system in the US with the one in Italy. She thinks the important of Kindergarten is children’s individual needs and not the readiness. In Italy, they keep multi-grades students in the same class in elementary school, the variety of ages is not important when the teacher knows each student individually. This would encourage children to develop their relationships among their groups and also with their teachers and families, which clearly is a chance for them to flourish.

As I was reading this article, I couldn’t help comparing the situation in the US with kindergarten levels near home in Thailand. I was talking to my father about a colleague of his the other day. This corrupted obstetrician has been doing surgeries to help babies born before their moms’ actual deliver dates. My father let me guess when would be the busiest time of the year for this obstetrician. I guessed rightly that it is before May 16 every year because in Thailand, the cut off for kindergarten level entry is May 16 for public schools. Thai parents clearly have a conversed preference with the Americans. They just want their children to be able to go to school as soon as possible. Being the oldest in the class is never a cool thing for a Thai student. They can be teased as repeaters. But which belief is more sensible? I couldn’t make up my mind on that one. As I read Gladwell’s The Outlier, I think at the very early age, age does matter in physical activities. However, for kindergarten, it is not about physical advantages. I agree with Pianta that vulnerable kids would have fewer chances at staying ahead of the class even though they are the oldest in the class. It’s all about the class and not the children. Providing effective early education for them and help reducing the readiness gap as early as possible might be helpful. I don’t think shifting the date of entry would be an effective and practical choice. From my personal experience, I was born on the very late of March and there was only one student younger than me, among 40-something students, back in kindergarten and all the way through elementary school. I never felt left behind in anything, though, except, of course, PE. I think my mom played a big role in helping me cope with older students. After realizing that her daughter would be one of the youngest, she forced me to learn how to read and write when I was barely three years old, thus, I was doing more than fine when kindergarten came. But for children who are less fortunate and don’t have a mom like mine, I do think Pianta’s point is exactly right, the path to equity starts way earlier than kindergarten. Relying on parents is not practical, we need effective preschool, or at least, we need to try and train the parents until they are able to assist their children be prepared.

__________
References
Who's Ready for Kindergarten? (2011, June 12). The New York Times. Retreived June 20, 2011 from http://www.nytimes.com/roomfordebate/2011/06/12/whos-ready-for-kindergarten

6 comments:

  1. Wow! This post reminds me of my childhood memory. I really miss that time when I could sleep after having lunch, spend time on a playground more than classroom, and ask for everything i want by crying loudly. What kind of kid did I use to be??? However, as I was reading this post, I think of one situation of my cousin who was born on May20, 1990. She also faced with the problem which Roong mentioned before. In Thailand, 3 years-old children who were born before May16 are allowed to be in a kindergarten level 1. So my cousin couldn't be in that class at that time. It sounds like she takes a one-year gap. She was in a kindergarten level 1, when she was 4 years old. She was the oldest student in the class and her friends always teased her by assuming that she got a repeat. Her mother doesn't want her to be upset, so she asked for a chance to put her in the second level by forcing her teacher. Finally, she got that opportunity by paying ten thousand baht for her school. So I wonder that if her mom doesn't have money enough. Does she have a weak point or scar in her mind or not? Will it effect on her education or living?

    Now, it is difficult to say that i disagree with the age of starting kindergarten because if we don't have the exact age or date, how we can decide that who can be in class or not. However, I won't say that i agree because if some children cannot bear the problem like my cousin, what would they and their family do?

    So what is the best solution to this problem? Can teacher control other students not to tease about older students? Should parents plan to give a birth before May16? Or we shouldn't solve anything because it is a rule which everyone should accept although it's hurt someone feeling?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Min, until middle school, I was one of the youngest .. not the oldest :P
    Did your cousin have any troubles coping with the older peers? I mean after her mom bribed her way up to the new class?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for calling me "Min"... I really love it. ^o^
    She doesn't have any troubles, but can also be the leader of the class... And now she is a fifth-year medical student at Siriraj hospital...

    ReplyDelete
  4. So that's another evidence of "age doesn't matter". I'm thinking more and more about my former classmates in high school, it turns out that most of the best students were actually the younger ones.


    Min, your latest comment is to test your new avatar, right?

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's right... Roong

    Although you are younger than me, you can see through my idea very well.....

    ReplyDelete

Before you click the blue "Publish" button for your first comment on a post, check ✔ the "Notify me" box. You want to know when your classmates contribute to a discussion you have joined.

A thoughtful response should normally mean writing for five to ten minutes. After you state your main idea, some details, explanation, examples or other follow up will help your readers.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.