Monday 24 November 2014

Art for whose sake?

I was tempted to respond to the appalling shooting by US police of a 12 year old boy yesterday, in the end, the flowers as art won.

According to "Georgia O'Keeffe painting sets auction record for female artist," the surprising sale, as Will Compertz describes it, of a major work by artist Georgia O'Keeffe, although well below the records held by men, has set a new record price for a painting by a female artist (2014).

Although I think other modern artists are better, I have long admired the work of O'Keeffe. Her flowers, however delicate in reality, come across as strong and powerful, whilst remaining representationally accurate. Nonja could never produce an O'Keeffe!

O'Keeffe, G. (1932)
Jimson Weed/White Flower No 1
I do think the work of other modern artists, who are mainly men, which is not my fault, is better art. I particularly like the work of Picasso, and can understand why his work fetches such amazing prices. If I had a spare $100 million, I might even be tempted (I had a lot of spare $100 millions). But whilst I greatly enjoy O'Keeffe's powerful flowers, I don't know that I'd spend $44 million to get my hands on the original Jimson Weed/White Flower No 1. I might pay a lot, but not quite that much. On the other hand, I'm glad that others are paying up and encouraging the further production of great art, and O'Keeffe's art does seem to me to be great.

In a hundred years, it will still be appreciated, along with Picasso and Rembrandt, and probably Francis Bacon, whose Three Studies of Lucien Freud the article cites as being the current world record holder, having sold last year for more than three times the price of O'Keeffe's $44.4 million flowers. I would probably have gone for the Bacon, too, but not at $142 million: has anyone ever matched Picasso's genius?

And hopefully someone else will follow up the stories on the latest horrific shooting by gun carrying cops in the US.
__________
Reference
Georgia O'Keeffe painting sets auction record for female artist. (2014, November 21). BBC News Entertainment & Arts. Retrieved from http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-30142581

2 comments:

  1. And now you have a new topic to comment on in your afternoon responses today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I alway admire people who have own opinions on artworks and buy them on the base of own opinions becase most of artworks are expensive than I expect. So, I cannot dare to buy an artwork. Sometimes I think that I can buy a photo copy of a famous painting just follwing general opinion, but I have some hesitation of unreasonable follwings. An aesthetic ability seems to be innate.

    ReplyDelete

Before you click the blue "Publish" button for your first comment on a post, check ✔ the "Notify me" box. You want to know when your classmates contribute to a discussion you have joined.

A thoughtful response should normally mean writing for five to ten minutes. After you state your main idea, some details, explanation, examples or other follow up will help your readers.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.