Sunday 10 October 2021

Good: Nestle and its future

 

According to “Nestle admits supply chain issues ahead of Christmas” (Jack, 2021) on the BBC website, the chief executive officer of Nestle stated that there are problems with a shortage of transportation to deliver their goods to shelves at supermarkets. The products such as Quality Street and Lion Bars, which he did not confirm will be available in the Christmas weeks or not, but the company is working hard to solve the problem. Also, the CEO mentioned that Nestle, which is the biggest dairy manufacturer in the world, will “launch a range of non-dairy, plant-based alternatives to its milk and chocolate in an attempt to further reduce the company's greenhouse gas emissions''. In parallel, the company is doing research to find new sources of food for its cows, more than 100,000 around the globe, to produce less methane released into the atmosphere. It is admitted that new groups of customers who prefer oat and soya-based alternatives have created a new market for Nestle. Although these new diet cost more than the conventional dairy equivalents, they are good for health and the price will be much lower due to mass production like EV cars. However, now some customers willingly pay for this extra cost. 

Reference 

Jack, S. (2021, October 7). Nestle admits supply chain issues ahead of Christmas. BBC. https://www.bbc.com/news/business-58822665


7 comments:

  1. I suggest you might add that Nestle is working on developing new eco-friendly products and innovation, to your topic sentence.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much Yok.

      When I finished this summary, I also thought the same as your comment that I didn't cover all main points in my topic sentence.

      Delete
  2. One of my family's treats on special occasions such as Christmas was a big tin of Nestle's Quality Street chocolates. I've known for a while that cattle were a major source of greenhouse gases, but until I read Good's paragraph, had never made the connection with chocolates, which makes perfect sense now that Good has pointed it out from his chosen source. I'm not such a big fan of chocolate these days, at least not of milk chocolate: I do enjoy high cocoa dark chocolate in modest binges. But I do love cheeses, which I guess means that I'm contributing in yet another way to global warming. At least my beef consumption is fairly low these days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good and Peter, I never heard of Quality Street and Lion Bars before. What does it taste like?

      Delete
    2. Frankly speaking, I don't know either.
      I think they are popular snacks for Christmas.

      Delete
  3. Hi Good, I think Nestle is working on the right thing: saving the world by reducing greenhouse gas emissions. I think that large global companies such as Nestle should take more responsibilities that an individual like a consumer, because they are the ones who decide what we should eat, consume and live. Many years ago, before the world's leaders took the climate change seriously, I used to want to buy plant-based foods to eat, but at the supermarkets in Bangkok, I couldn't buy one that had good quality and reasonable price. All I could buy were not tasty plant-based meats that would cost me high prices. However, I am glad that those large companies have adapted their products and productions to help solving climate change and offered more choices to their consumers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Emma, I never tried plant-based food before but I feel the same as you do that larger companies should be responsible for the environment especially climate change issues.

      Delete

Before you click the blue "Publish" button for your first comment on a post, check ✔ the "Notify me" box. You want to know when your classmates contribute to a discussion you have joined.

A thoughtful response should normally mean writing for five to ten minutes. After you state your main idea, some details, explanation, examples or other follow up will help your readers.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.