Friday 8 October 2021

Peter: a K-ripple on the English flood

The 20 volume 2nd edition of the OED
The 3rd edition, updated in September, is only published online.

According to “Why 26 Korean words have been added to Oxford English Dictionary” (2021), following more than ten years of K-pop and the 2012 international success of South Korean Psy’s rap hit “Gangnam Style”, the increasingly influential export of Korean cultural products is now reflected in the recent addition of 26 words of Korean origin to the Oxford English Dictionary (OED). Although a number of the 26 new entries to the "accepted authority on the English language" are for Korean food, such as the nouns banchan, bulgogi, and kimbab, three Korean dishes, other entries represent South Korean pop culture, for example, the noun hallyu, meaning: “The increase in international interest in South Korea and its popular culture.” The global popularity of cultural products such as K-drama and K-pop is attributed by Dr Hye-Kyung Lee, a researcher in culture and arts,  to the global mindset of their creators, whose products entertain global viewers. She explains that films such as the Oscar-winning Parasite and the series Squid Game, whose 95% non-Korean viewers are making it the most-watched series ever for NetFlix, whilst being distinctively different due to the Korean language and backgrounds, nonetheless tell stories viewers relate to of societies where characters struggle to survive with little hope or a future. The OED explains that the 26 additions originated in Asia, where Korean culture is popular, and from where they entered the vocabulary of the wider English speaking world, furthering the Korean “ripple on the sea of English words.”

Reference 

Why 26 Korean words have been added to Oxford English Dictionary. (2021, October 6). BBC. https://www.bbc.com/news/newsbeat-58749976 


South Korea's Squid Game: Number one in 90 countries for NetFlix

This is version 3. Despite my initial expectation based on my planning that it would be under the 250 word limit, version 1 was actually 262 words, so needed to be revised. After copying and pasting in version 2 above, I made a few more small revisions. The final word count is 247. 
If you would like to compare it with the published version above, version 1 is in my Google Doc
You can also see my planning notes for steps 1, 2, and 3. 


Screen shot of the OED entry for hallyu
added to the OED 3rd ed. in September 2021
Click to see full size.

 

7 comments:

  1. Peter I really happy that you choose this article. At first, I chose this news too. I had read it many times, and I thought it was too short for summary with 200-250 words, and I was not sure how to summarize it since there are many words that the article refer to. Although I really like this article and interesting about it a lot, I decided to choose other news.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The reason I chose it was because it talks about the Oxford English Dictionary, which I've loved since I was an undergraduate working out the muscles of my arms by lifting those heavy volumes around. When the OED became available on CD, I immediately bought it. But the online version is the best. I don't know how many volumes it would need to print the current 3rd edition, but the OED has said it is not planning to ever print a paper version again.

      One of the great things about the online version, apart from being vastly more convenient than the paper version was, is the regular updates, such as the recent addition of 26 words from Korean, as seen in the example in the screenshot I added as the last image above.

      Since Yok has cited the short Lexico entry for the noun person, I'm thinking of sharing a pdf print of the OED, although without showing the supporting quotations — it's already five pages without more than doubling it by including the quotations.

      Delete
    2. And because the examples are an important part of the article, it was reasonable to include some of them in the summary paragraph.

      Delete
    3. Like Num, I have seen this article too and have no idea how to summarized. I am interested that you chose this article and how you summarized it. From reading "a K-ripple on the English flood" ,it makes me thinking of how are new words can added to Oxford English Dictionary. Do we have any Thai words that was included in OED?

      Delete
    4. Sea, I like your concluding question.

      A search done just now (one of those useful participial phrases (that) Skillful has just introduced to us) returned 22 entries in the OED for words with Thai origins. I'm sure you will recognize all of the words on this list. The first one has a history of being used in English from 1727.

      But I'm afraid that with 41 Korean words in the OED after the recent addition of 26 new entries last month, Korean is now winning. If Thailand could produce something like Squid Game or another NetFlix mega-hit, it would certainly jump up the ranks and again overtake Korean.

      Delete
    5. Perhaps someone else would like to address Sea's indirect question, which I did not cover.

      How are new words added to the Oxford English Dictionary, or indeed to any dictionary?

      I think there is more than one correct answer to the more general question, but I don't think they are equally good answers.

      What do you think? What are your ideas on how new words are added to the OED and other dictionaries, and how should new words be added to dictionaries?

      Delete
  2. Hi Peter, thank you for summarizing the news article for us to read, as it let we know how foreign cultures can influence English language. Before reading it, I've learned that the language developed from German and other Western languages. My friends used to ask me the reason why I've spent lots of my time and energy to learn English language. My answer is because I can learn more than language from English language. I think it is the global language. I mean it is the language of finance, business and science. It has opened up my world.

    ReplyDelete

Before you click the blue "Publish" button for your first comment on a post, check ✔ the "Notify me" box. You want to know when your classmates contribute to a discussion you have joined.

A thoughtful response should normally mean writing for five to ten minutes. After you state your main idea, some details, explanation, examples or other follow up will help your readers.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.