Tuesday 20 July 2021

Opal: Eat that Frog

Eat that Frog


Many people must have experienced the problem of procrastination often. I am one of them. However, I have begun to get rid of this bad habit little by little by applying what I read into real life. I read a book called Eat that Frog. Eat that Frog is one of the most famous books on productivity and overcoming self-procrastination. It was written by Brian Tracy, who is a motivational public speaker and self-development author .Even though it was written a long time ago, it is still widely read around the world. I think this book is suitable for anyone interested in becoming or struggling to be more productive, whether through time management or creating new good habits to achieve goals in life, which could bring you a lot of success.

I am someone who doesn’t read much. I mostly read when I have free time. I have a wide range of interests in books ,such as philosophy, psychology, fiction, poetry, self –development books , and so on. However, in an age of advanced technology, I tend to waste time using my phone and watching Korean series. Since the Covid-19 situation came in, I became bored with the daily routine because I rarely went out. My family usually goes out to the city to buy groceries once a week. So I decided to go to the bookstore hoping that I might get a book to read in my spare time. I stumbled upon a book with a green-colored cover and a picture of a frog. The first time I saw it, it looked a bit funny. I read the description on the back of the book and thought it was interesting, but I still had not decided to buy it. Until I got home, I thought about that interesting book, so I bought it online. 

After reading this book, I like that the author compares frogs with the hardest task or things you don’t want to do and suggests they be the first thing to do each day after waking up because if we finish the hardest thing, the whole day will be more fun and relaxed because we don't have to worry about it anymore. Especially with the example that if there are two frogs, choose the ugliest one, whatever the situation. I have tried applying it in real life and it's easy to see results. Some days I am too lazy to get up and shower first, but when I decide to do it before doing other things like breakfast, it made my whole day feel more productive without feeling not fresh or sleepy and gave me  the power to do other things such as homework.  The author also introduced the technique that when we are thinking of doing something, we must start it urgently and not worry or think about it too much. It's also very important to prioritize each task by starting the most important and unwelcome tasks first. I found the methods are very actionable to apply in real life. In addition, it slowly changed my habit from a person who is very unorganized, waking up late and being lazy to being  more productive and using my time effectively.

Lastly, I strongly recommend anyone who likes developing themselves to  read Eat that Frog book as the price is sensible, and it is worthwhile for the content that is not just reading to absorb knowledge but also to be able to implement the ideas in real life and see results. 


1 comment:

  1. Since fully 20% of this class wrote on Eat the Frog, it certainly seems to be popular in Thailand, but I have to confess that I had never heard of it until I read Opal's and Att's essays about it.

    It's a catchy title: I used to hate frogs, in fact, I suffered from batrachophobia, which was a problem growing up in the country, where frogs abounded in the spring and summer months. I'm not sure which terrified me more: the harmless frogs or that my classmates at school might find out about my perfectly irrational fear of frogs. Over the years, that's faded, although I don't come across that many frogs on Silom Road, which is far more popular with large rats and cockroaches. I don't much like the rats or the cockroaches either, but at least they don't inspire any irrational terror, just healthy disgust.

    As Opal explains it, the idea that we should "choose the ugliest one" to eat first sounds sensible, but idea of eating a frog or any type is unappealing.

    And like Opal, I could relate to her idea that "in an age of advanced technology, I tend to waste time ... watching" various series on NetFlix. I've never watched a Korean series, but there are plenty of other excellent productions to enjoy hour after hour. Two of my favourites of the last year have been House of Cards, a gripping drama about US presidential politics (it sounded boring, but when I tried it on a friend's recommendation, I was addicted) and The Blacklist, which tells the story of a former US spy who had betrayed his country to build a criminal empire and who has returned to work as a confidential informant for the FBI while continuing his criminal exploits. The eighth season of The Blacklist came out a couple of days ago. I'm about to watch the final episode now with today's morning coffee — some quick blogging was the frog I had to eat first, but it's been fun reading your essays again and responding to a couple. ANd there more to respond to later.

    ReplyDelete

Before you click the blue "Publish" button for your first comment on a post, check ✔ the "Notify me" box. You want to know when your classmates contribute to a discussion you have joined.

A thoughtful response should normally mean writing for five to ten minutes. After you state your main idea, some details, explanation, examples or other follow up will help your readers.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.