Friday 23 July 2021

X: Non-boring informative book


X: Non-boring informative book


There is a wide range of books worldwide. Some people like to read fiction and enjoy imaginary settings while others prefer non-fiction and real events. Also, sometimes those chosen books can tell the characters of readers. One of the non-fiction books which interest me is Easy Email Writing composed by M.L. Thanisa Chumpol, a lecturer at the Asian Institute of Technology. The author wrote it in a simple way as its name suggests, but it’s informative. For me, its content includes necessary information regarding how to write an email from the first page until the end. Therefore, I enjoyed reading this book because it is genuinely useful for me as an independent English learner and a graduate student.

First of all, as an independent English learner, I chose this book to improve my English because its style meets my preferences. I am fond of the book’s features which motivate me to read such an informative book. It can absolutely be called a reader-friendly pocket book because of its size, design, and how the writer organises the information. Apart from learning English in classes, I am eager to develop my English skills by reading self-study books for ESL learners. However, I often get bored with those books easily, but not with this one. I was able to digest and remember its content quickly due to the infographics and practices behind each chapter. As mentioned above, I am able to expand my English knowledge by reading favoured English books.

In addition to being an independent learner, I definitely believe that the book content is handy for me to use when I have a graduate study life. I will be a full-time master’s degree student in business this year. This is my first time studying in higher education abroad, which makes me worry about adjusting to a new environment. I am of the opinion that having good communication skills can help me overcome the fear. According to email being a common way of communication used between students and academic staff, especially during the pandemic, I realise the importance of concise email writing. We, for example, can send a short and clear enquiry to teachers in order to receive accurate answers from them within a single email. This also saves time and prevents misunderstanding. Ready-to-use email phrases and structures in various situations in Easy Email Writing boost my confidence in writing an email. As a graduate student, I realise that email writing plays an important role in successful academic life. 

To conclude, I, as an independent English learner and a master’s degree student, receive the benefits of reading English Email Writing. I am able to improve my English skills myself while reading a preferable book style and also receive helpful tools to write an email during studying at university. If you read this book, you may find the enjoyment of reading an informative work like me.


3 comments:

  1. This is such an interesting book!
    Honestly, I would say that most (traditional) books are quite boring for me, yet this book has some infographics, as you mentioned, which can keep me reading a bit longer, and finally I might finish reading it. On top of that, I have been writing emails a lot, especially at work, but I have never known what right or appropriate ways to do so. I am also a part-time independent English learner, and thus this book would be very useful for me. Thank you X for recommending this book and hopefully I would buy this one very soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like X's title, which fits his essay well. A point that is constantly seen in their own official guidelines and the tips from successful takers of tests like TOEFL and IELTS is that keep up your motivation, you should choose non-boring material to practice with. That is, read news articles on topics that interest you personally, watch TED talks on your areas of interest, and write what interests you. And in her introduction to students in Skillful, Dorothy Zemach has the same sort of idea when she suggests "reading for pleasure" in her notes on being an independent learner (in Warwick & Rogers, 2018, p. 6)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This book sounds interesting! I agree that writing concise email is very useful for academic and work proposes. When i was in university, i did a few courses on Business English. I can recall some useful patterns or sentences from the courses, but the book you wrote about is a good idea to brush up my knowledge.

    ReplyDelete

Before you click the blue "Publish" button for your first comment on a post, check ✔ the "Notify me" box. You want to know when your classmates contribute to a discussion you have joined.

A thoughtful response should normally mean writing for five to ten minutes. After you state your main idea, some details, explanation, examples or other follow up will help your readers.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.