Saturday 20 November 2010

Do you prefer the child-free flight?

When you pay for some service, what do you expect from them? They should fulfill our needs and make us satisfied, but unfortunately, some factors decrease your satisfaction; what do you do? For example, while you watch a movie and you are enjoy it, a child who is beside you is screaming. How do you feel? Most people are annoyed, and they have some ideals to solve this problem. Some people try to continue watch their movie, some people look at his or her parent for trying to ask them to do something, some people go to ask a staff to do something, some people stop watching and go outside, and so on. In your case, what do you do and do you think who should be responsible for this matter?

There is a same situation which was shown in the article “Passengers Push for Child-Free Flights” (Quenqua, 2010). In the article, many passengers suffer from sitting next to a screaming, kicking, uncontrollable child especially if that child isn’t theirs. This is a cause that makes some passengers fear to travel with children. Because of the fear, some travelers try to find a way of dealing with the problem by proposing child-free flights, creating special sections on flights for families and so on. In addition, there is the result of Skyscanner’s survey which found that from 2,000 travelers, 59 percent of passengers support creating special sections on flights for families and almost 20 percent said they would like to see airlines offer child-free flights. From this survey, it leads many people discuss this issue on message boards. However, it is difficult for the airlines to solve this problem because the used ways mean that they are going to limit people from flying, it will increase their cost, and it is hard to know when this way will return to profitability if they do.

It seems that the passengers who suffer from travelling with children still suffer from this issue. What do you think? Are you a person who suffers from this issue? What will you do for this situation?
__________

References
Quenqua D. (2010, November 12). Passengers Push for Child-Free Flights Fred, The New York Times. Retrieved November 19, 2010 from http://travel.nytimes.com/2010/11/14/travel/14babies-journeys.html?pagewanted=2&ref=travel

4 comments:

  1. I had one experience but it's not on plane. At that time, I did a horrible thing with that girl. First, I put my finger in her mouth and pulled her ponytail then she was deeply shocked and stopped crying immediately. hahahah! It's work and her parents did not see what I did.

    I agree that it is difficult to solve this problem. The parents should be the first person who take responsibility for this problem. Because they understand their children well and know how to take care. The fact that child's crying is a way of communicating one of those needs or being in uncomforable situation or ubsetting. But parents should recognise child's different crying patterns and be able to solve and prepare for it. The popular methods that I always see they wrap her up and hold her tight. They just use physical language and reassusre how hard they try to stop. I think if they try, they can do. It will be not a big problem. JUST DO IT!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is funny what NK wrote. A nice way to start my day with the image of NK put her finger in the girl mouth and pulled her pony tail and the parents without to see anything!
    I have never have the experience to have a screaming child just next to me. Sometimes on the say fly but I was so tired and no so close that I continue to sleep.
    Maybe the airplane companies have to give a brochure about the technique NK suggest and to train the air hostess how to do it and how to teach the parents because some parents they do not know what to do and they become stress and anything they do, it is worse! I am curious to practice this technique....

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is amazing that I had the same experience as the situation given in my article. After I finished my writing, next morning I went to cinema. A woman who sat next to me is a mother who has a kid on her lap. When the movie started, the kid started to talk with his mom. About 30 minutes later, the kid started to cry and his mom try to stop him by giving him candies and then the kid stopped crying. I think that now the kid knows the way if he wants candies more. I heard kid crying about 3-4 times. Then, I guessed that his mom did not give him a candy; he started to cry again and cannot stop him. I heard other people start to murmur and turned to the kid. Kid’s parent tried to stop the kid, but it did not work. Finally, I saw kid’s parent stopped watching and took the kid out side. Although this is a good way at that time to stop the problem, it should have the best way to solve this problem such as teaching something to the kid; but I do not know what I should teach them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have the experience like that occasionally. I should have complained them to their parents, and also I would like to kick them!

    Once, I couldn't suffer from the child trouble. At that time, I had to go to UK for academic seminar of my major field. I want time to sleep because I would be well when I got to there, but there were 3 children and 1 baby in that flight. Those children always made noisy and ran on the plane as if they were in a garden near their home. Moreover, that baby also made noisy many time. I didn't know what their parents did, and why they didn't take care their kids. I and a man who sat next to me decided to inform the crews to manage those trouble. First time, those kids was in peace after that they made noisy again and again. It was ofter much until the another passengers started to talk with each other what happened in our flight.

    Finally, the crews solved that trouble with moving those families to the lastest seats of the plane, and they informed their airline about the problem. To move them to the new seats was effective solution to that problem. We all could spend remaining time to sleep well. When I got off the plane, they gave me a voucher which I use to discount in the restaurant and doing shopping.

    Personally, airline should provide special seat for children at the lastest seat of the plane. They should not offer free-flight for them because if it's free, many children will be on the plane and make more noise certainly.

    ReplyDelete

Before you click the blue "Publish" button for your first comment on a post, check ✔ the "Notify me" box. You want to know when your classmates contribute to a discussion you have joined.

A thoughtful response should normally mean writing for five to ten minutes. After you state your main idea, some details, explanation, examples or other follow up will help your readers.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.