Thursday 18 November 2010

new graduates' problem

What is your major in university? Does your department help you preparing before going to job market? With competition being fierce and downturn economics condition, many people cannot get a job, especially new graduates who have no any experiences. America’s Law schools and firms point out the problems, which is happening in America, in the article “Trouble with the law” that has been published in The Economist (2010)

According to the article, even though legal position job in America’s job market is dire, the number of students who apply for law school have soared. Over the last ten years, tuition fees of Americans law schools have also doubled, leading to the loan for tuition fee also growing faster, while starting salaries of graduated cannot cover their loan. Unfortunately, some Law schools reject the situation and still report the high number of employed students, but they include temporary jobs and uninvolved law jobs in those statistics. Moreover, some globalised law firms decry what teaching in Law schools is different from what lawyers do in the real situation. Although American‘s Law schools provide some helps to their students such as teaching cooperate deals as well as reading appellate decisions, but this seem inadequate. In England and Germany, on the other hand, they have better preparing for their students by combining work and study as a trainee this can help learner practice and match with firms well.

After reading the article, I feel terrible about the USA situation. Undeniably, the problem has also happened in Thailand in the recent years. The universities’ tuition fees are increasing, particular in international programs and in private universities. Students have to pay high rate for studying, but after they graduate, they face economics crisis. Therefore, many Thai graduates hardly find a new job and have to accept unfair salaries. In my point of view, university’s faculties should guideline and prepare students. For example, they should adapt their curriculum to suit with reality work or they should encourage their learners to train as internships in relating filed companies as in England and German. Does the kind of problems happen in your countries? How about your situations after you graduated?
__________
References
America’s Law schools and firms (2010, November 11) Trouble the law. The economist, Retrieved November 18, 2010 from http://www.economist.com/node/17461573?story_id=17461573

5 comments:

  1. I've heard of this problem for a while, new grads from law school struggling to find legal jobs in the States. Lucky me, the situation is not as bad around here. We're still getting hired, not that easily but not quite hard for new grads with decent GPAs. Donald Trump is not needed, yet.

    I really think that law schools in the States are way overrated. The tuition fee is ridiculously high, for a one-yr master degree in law, American law schools charge, like, twice as much as the British ones. I may be naive here but I just can't imagine why a taught programme can be so expensive. They care about their own benefit too much, I guess. Education there is a business, all the good schools are private schools, unlike Thailand's.

    About the university's duty on preparing students, the duty can be quite complicated. In my university, they encourage us to take a summer internship but most of us didn't come out and find the internship useful.
    Working in this field, the work we do can be very specific, so, they couldn't teach us everything in school. I suggest that preparing us for something more practical is a good idea; however, the firms wouldn't trust new grads to hold such big responsibility until they're working for a year or something. We have plenty time to learn there.
    What they're doing is teaching us what we couldn't learn in workplaces which is legal morality. What a law school really does for you is putting the legal mind into you, make you think like a lawyer and encourage you to continue learning even after graduation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fortunately, I got a job after I graduated from university.

    I also heard about unemployment. Hamburger crisis, in the U.S.A, has led to economic crisis in every continent. I remember that Thailand was affected by the crisis last years*. Therefore, the first quarter of 2010, many companies started laying off employee. Meanwhile, The university students graduated in March 2010. This is a consequence of high competition. Furthermore, If I were a employer, when I read 2 candidates details, I'd choose an experience one. That's why a new graduates quite hard to fine a job.

    Miw stated that "university’s faculties should guideline and prepare students." This idea is rational. However, the companies, which provide a position for student trainee, should enlighten students in their studying field. Most of authority always ask student to standby at copy room. this is horrible.

    * The crisis occur in the U.S.A last 2 years but the effect certainly impact Thai economic at forth quarter of 2009. (As I understand)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Before I graduated from university, luckily I get a job. However, I know that find the first job is hard for the new graduated. Every company prefer the candidate who has an experience in that position. One of my friend took almost 1 year before got a job. Then when I started my job, I do realized that working is so different from studying. Although my education in university did help me, I still had to learn many new things before I could worked without asking for help.

    The raised tuition fee in university become another problem in educational topic in Thailand. Today everything is business education also. There are many study programs newly open in university most of them more specific in major just only to raise up the tuition fee.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can talk about two countries, Mexico and France. In both of them I studied at university and I worked. With the crisis the problem of unemployment new university graduated is the same in this two countries. The difference are one is undeveloped, while other is developed country, one is more free capitalism and the other protectionism country. Most of the mexican educational system university programs include students work in their field during their studies, unfortunately the crisis is serious and it is very difficult to find a job after university anyway. Most of the student start with very low salaries. If you are from a public university is worse. In France the universities starts to have programs with work practice but not so much, the good thing there is, after you finish university, you have much more government help to find a job, in some periods the companies do no pay some taxes during more than a year, if they employ a new graduated. There are help to prepare you to find a job, how to do your CV, where to find a job, to prepare a job interview and other helps. Sometimes, in both countries, the work practice at the universities is the student who has to find it and that is no always easy.
    For me the first job in France was very easy to find. It was later, when my contract finish which was difficult. Fortunately I was in France and it help me so much to learn how to find a job, because to find a job is almost a full time job and when you find a job is not because you know more about your job but you know much better how to do marketing about you, how to sell you! Anyway I agree, it is very important to have work experiences in a company, ONG, government, any kind sell man, cleaner,... because it is impossible to learn about work relationship, which are very different from university. To be successful in your job you need to understand very well the company culture. I started to work after my doctoral degree, many years later than the standard student, who starts after 4 years of university studies. It was my first experience out of the university, and it was not easy because at work many different groups were fighting and to have a position for me was harsh.

    ReplyDelete
  5. At that time, I was quite lucky because when I graduated from University, I got a job at a company for which I worked as a trainee. They offered me the job after I spent 4 months to train and deal work with them. Moreover, in my field, my major is needed in job market.

    However, the economic crisis in Thailand, "tom yam kung" crisis also influenced me to choose my major. I had had a target to study in Civil engineering, but the crisis affected most of Civil engineers to lose their job and be unemployees. Thus, that badly effect made me change my target to Mechanical engineering when I had to select the major because I was worried I might not get any job at my last term in the University.

    ReplyDelete

Before you click the blue "Publish" button for your first comment on a post, check ✔ the "Notify me" box. You want to know when your classmates contribute to a discussion you have joined.

A thoughtful response should normally mean writing for five to ten minutes. After you state your main idea, some details, explanation, examples or other follow up will help your readers.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.