Wednesday 31 July 2013

Another essential of work

Is anyone happy while sitting almost 8 hours a day in your own desk? Happy hours at work never happened to many employees; however, there are several companies that create working period having more fun, interesting, and productive.



According to the “Funny business: Why humour on the job matters”, bosses of Zappos corporate - the online shoe store- headquarters in Henderson, Nevada allows their employees to “create fun and a little weirdness” (¶ 11) at work, so, their employees produce more productive new ideas which is the key to success and accomplish the goals. As same as Pastor Perry Noble the Southern Baptist church who attract worshipers’ attention and make them listening by humorous subjects.

I have heard that Google Inc. provides their employees with large space to relax and rest, but I never heard that company allows their employees to act and create the humor stories at work. It sounds really fun and interest. I never feel happy while I was working, and other employees might feel the same. The stressful of work, the load of projects, and the time line to finish the work are causing employees anxious, exhausted, boring and many more. That’s the reason why many people starting their own business.

Back to Google Inc. again, I read the article about the space that Google provide a huge area to their employees. Not only the headquarters, but also every Google office branch around the world are the same. Google interior makes the atmosphere is very relax, and it seems productive for creative and employees of Google. The color of the furniture inside Google offices is matching with purposes, for example, Google theme color for furniture in the meeting area, white and cream furniture in the resting zone, and colorful furniture in activities area. As I graduated from the faculty of architecture, and I know a little bit about interior design that color influences people mood changes in various action. Before you design your own room, makes sure you choose the right one!

__________
References

Barton, E. (2013, July 30). Funny business: Why humour on the job matters. BBC Capital. Retrieved July 31, 2013 from http://www.bbc.com/capital/story/20130729-funny-business-at-the-office


2 comments:

  1. Ploy, thank you for kicking off our response blogging of news articles with such an interesting post.

    As I was reading your introduction and summary, I was also thinking of Google, which you mention a couple of times in your response. I was thinking, in particular, of their habit of providing high quality food for staff for free at dedicated cafeterias. I wish AUA would do that, but I suspect it would require a small increase in fees to provide me with me with truffle omelettes, roast lamb shank and other yummies that I'm fond of.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And thanks also for introducing me to the Capital section of the BBC - I don't think I've been there before.

    But this is another benefit of blogging - we can share our reading interests, which might help others find things that they would otherwise miss out on.

    ReplyDelete

Before you click the blue "Publish" button for your first comment on a post, check ✔ the "Notify me" box. You want to know when your classmates contribute to a discussion you have joined.

A thoughtful response should normally mean writing for five to ten minutes. After you state your main idea, some details, explanation, examples or other follow up will help your readers.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.