Thursday 7 November 2013

Peter's academic interests

My longest academic interests have been in mathematics and philosophy, although the mathematics is really the logical foundations of mathematics. This began when I was in high school, I guess around 12 years of age. I had never liked academic subjects much in primary school, but I had enjoyed reading then, and read most of the small school library. I was particularly interested in science - I liked learning about how things worked and why they worked the way they did. But none of the teachers were very good at mathematics, except for one nun who once taught geometry for a short time. That did interest me, and for similar reasons to the ones that later made mathematics a passion for many years, throughout high school and into university. Unlike everything else, the results of mathematics were not qualified by hedging words like maybe, perhaps, probably, almost certainly, possibly or such terms: the results of mathematics were absolutely certain, proven beyond any doubt. And I loved that. But then I began to worry about the foundations of mathematics: must 1+1=2? Why? And what are numbers? Do they exist? In what way do they exist? Questions like these led my mathematics and physics teachers in high school to point me towards logic and from there I moved to other branches of philosophy.

2 comments:

  1. You seemed like to love number theroy if you had that major. I gave up Mathes bacause I didn't spare needed creativity for them. Mathimaticians say that the age before thirty is improtant for a mathimatician who wants to do someting in the field. I don't like about the age, but I agree. I can feel the time nibbles the creativity gradually.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sadly, I have to agree with Katie. My brain is not nearly so fast nor so creative as it was thirty years ago.

      Delete

Before you click the blue "Publish" button for your first comment on a post, check ✔ the "Notify me" box. You want to know when your classmates contribute to a discussion you have joined.

A thoughtful response should normally mean writing for five to ten minutes. After you state your main idea, some details, explanation, examples or other follow up will help your readers.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.