Tuesday 19 January 2021

Earth's academic interests

A favourite academic area formally studied

Although I am not good at chemistry, I have most loved to learn more about it. It was astonished at how chemical reaction occur. When I was in middle school, I had not have a passionate about substances and matters, but I enjoyed studying general sciences. I remembered my teacher who taught my class was very smart and funny. From the first class at school, she made me love to study with her and want to learn more. I realized that science has more than I saw. During the class, I learned a lot of things on Earth that made of chemicals and these was chemistry. After finishing school, I went back home to study more about chemical reactions in my daily life. It helped me understand how items around me are made. When I known how shampoo and hair conditioner worked, it made me excited an eager to learn. It still amazes me today that shampoo is made from weak acid to diminish any dirt on hair and hair conditioner improves soft feeling and shiny appearance. Although chemistry was quite complicated, I found it challenging to learn. Chemistry made me view the world in different angles.

I frankly said that it was not necessary to have a good grade at school because I thought the most important thing was how much interests would I earn. Apart from being interested in chemical phenomenon, I think chemistry is not only explained how reactions occurred in daily life, but it effected how we feel and interact with other things. These made me decided to study pharmacy to find out the reasons. Fortunately, I made the perfect choice, although chemistry cannot explain all of universe, it made me see the world in different way and my feeling was fulfilled.

__________________________________

A favourite academic area not formally studied


After thinking about the favourite subject being not taught in school, psychology came into my mind.  I have never studied psychology and more than ten years during high school, I had doubted why I and my friends reacted differently. I tried to find the reasons, but I had no ideas about it. After having been struggling to understand the feelings, I thought that it might be because of the reaction of a human brains. Psychology helped me understand my personality and inside of my behaviour. 

Honestly, at that time I did not realized that I was a suspicious girl, and I always looked around to see how people think and feel. In my point of view, I am one of people who understands others even though I am quite quiet and shy. Psychology helps me develop my communication skills and now I think my speech is better than before. The way I talk was not just effected myself, but also people who listened. 

Having understand myself and others give me positives perspectives on my role. I loved using my knowledge of psychology and behaviour interacting with people as I found it was useful to make and sustain the relationships with my colleges. 

Although now I have not understand all of psychology, I have been studied about it and sincerely believe that one day I will become an idealist. I do not like to talk, but it is better rather than being quiet. In my view, learning about psychology does not develop my skills to deal with difficult situations, but also help others overcome their difficulties. I assured that psychology is worth to learn and I am one of the people who are passionate about it.

1 comment:

  1. I like Earth's comment about chemistry that, at least to some extent, it also "[a]ffected how we feel and interact with other things." I was kind of hoping she might have developed that idea a bit more, but perhaps she will come back and to that, or a classmate might contribute some ideas on it, whether to agree or disagree. (I have some opinions on it, but don't want to prejudice the discussion.)

    I thought when I got to Earths comment on psychology, which I notice Num also enjoys reading, that there might have been a language mistake in her clause saying that "learning about psychology does not develop my skills to deal with difficult situations." It sounds perfectly correct by itself, and I actually like the idea that this clause states. But when I read the following idea, there seemed to be a mismatch. That's not a big problem, but does remind us that it's a good idea to proofread quickly before we click the blue "Publish" button.

    What I like about Earth's idea as stated in the clause I quoted above is that it reminds me of my own experience studying psychology. When I was in high school, I was painfully shy. My usual solution to all problems was to hide out in the library and read for a solution. I learned a fair bit about basic psychology, and still love reading it, but unfortunately, and as research supports, simply learning something isn't actually enough to change behaviour! I'm still painfully shy around people I don't know in relaxed social situations. In classes or meetings, or standing and speaking in public, I'm fine, but chatting at parties and so on is as difficult for me today as it was decades ago, even though I can explain the psychology and it's chemical foundations.

    ReplyDelete

Before you click the blue "Publish" button for your first comment on a post, check ✔ the "Notify me" box. You want to know when your classmates contribute to a discussion you have joined.

A thoughtful response should normally mean writing for five to ten minutes. After you state your main idea, some details, explanation, examples or other follow up will help your readers.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.