Tuesday 19 January 2021

Num's academic interests

A favourite academic area formally studied

Although my major is film production, I am also into the psychology area. Human's brain is mysterious. Our acts work under the mind. Basic psychology was a fundamental subject for freshmen to be enrolled in my faculty. The knowledge gave me a new perspective to connect with others by understanding their needs. For example, to communicate with others, we need to comprehend what and how they feel toward us, so we can express proper feedback to them and convey them to respond to what we want. Psychology helps communicators to use communication skills more effectively. Especially, to persuade people. Regarding the advertising business, there are many marketing plans that are based on research of customers' behavior. Some creative directors produce advertisements to raise attention from their audience to feel attracted to their products. This is an example that I have got when I learned about psychology and integrated it into my major. But what I really am interested in is human emotion. Emotions are very complex things, now I didn't study psychology in the class anymore, but I still keep reading psychologist work to understand my own emotions. Once I perceive my own emotions and understand them, it could help me have more emotional balance in life. This teaches me to accept myself better. I did not suppress my feelings anymore so my mental health has developed once I understand how emotions work in life.             


____________________________________ 

A favourite academic area not formally studied

I don't have any knowledge about interior design but I really love checking out decoration magazines. Sometimes I try to match furniture which I like in my head. I remembered when I was a kid, I had a tiny pink closet and a cupboard, I kept playing with it. During my teenage years, I had a dream that I could be an interior designer because I like to decorate my own space. But I cannot draw, so I gave up. But I still like to buy monthly decoration magazines just to keep looking at how different spaces were designed. I appreciate walking in the furniture store for a whole day during my free time even though I did not have a plan to buy any.     

3 comments:

  1. Thank you Num. Your comments about psychology reminded me of one reason I enjoy reading behavioural economics: it helps us to understand human behaviour, although the economists have a narrower focus than psychology does. I also made a connection with my love of mathematics, more specifically, what makes it so much neater than relationships, which are messy and uncertain, which is why psychologists hedge their language with words like generally, tend(s) to, be likely to, and so on. Mathematics is absolute, even statistical probabilities are precisely defined.

    And that reminds me of the wonderful NetFlix series I binged on over the Christmas and New Year break: The Queen's Gambit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you would like to add basic formatting or links to your comments, see my notes on the page Comments - italics, bold, links on the page from the menu bar above. It might seem a little bit messy the first time or two, and the basic HTML does not tolerate mistakes, but it can also be useful.

      Delete
  2. I couldn't agree more that psychology provides powerful information and knowledge. As you mention knowledge of psychology is essential for an effective advertisement. Not only is it used for manipulating people behaviour but learning psychology also help us to understand ourselves. I also enjoy reading psychological fact. Researching in this filed raise awareness of my feeling and causation of it. Had we know about the clause of our emotions, we would handle it better. However, we shouldn't trust psychological research too much. I've read about many old psychological theories which are disproved with the newer research. Designing experiments about the brain and mental side isn't a piece of cake, resulting in inaccurate information sometimes.

    ReplyDelete

Before you click the blue "Publish" button for your first comment on a post, check ✔ the "Notify me" box. You want to know when your classmates contribute to a discussion you have joined.

A thoughtful response should normally mean writing for five to ten minutes. After you state your main idea, some details, explanation, examples or other follow up will help your readers.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.