Monday 18 January 2021

Phing's academic interests

A favourite academic area formally studied

    After attending to the university class, I fall in love with the history of art and design. It was one of the most enthusiastic classes for me because it provided me with the dissimilar experience. I used to feel blue when I had to research or learn about the past in general. The exporting the olden days through the lens of art and design is enjoyable and fully with hope.


    My high school textbooks contain lots of vintage photographs related to the Great War and the next one. I saw people are suffering or losing their valuables and confronted with human right issues. Spreading of deadly diseases, such as Spanish flu, resulted in a tragedy that humankind was an incapable flight. The worlds 'Depress' and 'Cheerless' described my emotions at those moments squarely. I truly respect the previous generation and thank you for what they had done for us. Whereas It was hard to say that I enjoy learning history.


    On the other hand, the history of art and design presents the past in a different mood. Movements of art and new design invention makes me feel energetic and full of hope. During a tough time, art still has places for us and human have never stopped creating. A bad day mightn't the whole tragic. De Stijl was formed in the early 20th-century. Although the first world could lead to some obstacle, those group of artists and architects still created this memorable style.

    I had seen older-generations people's lives in grey, like vintage pictures. Learning history in another focus is like adding colours in my imagination of the past.   


____________________________________ 

A favourite academic area not formally studied

    I have travelled to many places in Thailand and overseas. My journies brought me to lots of beautiful buildings. Walking through the historical streets, incredible buildings and the charming city's skyline introduces me to architecture.
  
     I love how the habitat embraced me. When I get into good design places, I sometimes would like to stay in as long as I can.
Architecture influence people behaviour which is like the hidden magic.
It can enhance dwelling life and represent cultures. While walking in the old street in Kyoto, the sense of japan permeated through me automatically.
   
     

The church of light

    The church of light by Tadao Ando is one of the most impressive places for me which attract me to architecture. There is a cross that is generated by sunlight. Praying in front of a shining cross will be such an impact moment for me.




 

Passion about architecture forces me to travels. I have lots of bullet points to go. Even though I have never studied about architecture, it inspires me silently.

7 comments:

  1. Phing, when you mentioned that the history of art and design gave you colorful times, I could recall my enjoyable moments when I watched animations. When I had a tough time at school, I went back home and watched a animation from Walt Disney or Pixar Animation Studio. In some ways, those animations made me feel good and I could escape from the really world. My favorite animations are Toy Story, Kung Fu Panda, Peter Pan, Aladdin, The Lion King, etc. I haven't studied about art and design, so what kind of things that they teach in the class?
    For me, I think art is very complicated thing to learn. I think it is complicated than finance. In finance, you have some formulas or theories to help you come up with an answer. I think it is difficult to explain what art is, isn't it? I love art and design, but I am scared of the subject because I don't understand it. I can claim that I am good at drawing or painting. However, I don't think that it is what artists do--isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Emma, digital animation, storyboard, cinema aesthetics and criticism, and narrative techniques in cinema and digital media are the example of subjects in my study filed. Even though there are lots of serious subject’s name, basically, I just watched lots of films, learn how to tell my story. I have created some short animation films and pictures book. I discovered that in art, design, and film making also have formulas. We have watched many popular movies so I can see patterns of it such as the best time of the climax scene and the intersection of some charismatic characters.

      I have seen many movies adapt those formulas however it doesn't guarantee that movie is going to be popular. Mostly, the. The film which breaks the monotony tends to be the legend.

      I think that art isn’t hard if you are not trying to impress everyone. Don’t be frightened of art. I support that every people have a tiny artist in their personality. Art shouldn’t be reserve for the professional.

      Delete
  2. Phing, I also like architecture. At first I want to write about it, however, after I read Emma's feedback, I found that she has an opposite view with me through art and finance, and I would like to add on about that. Somehow art may be difficult to understand, but what I like about art is that there is nothing right or wrong. It's up to us to interpret or feel about it. It depends on an individual perception. Once Emma said that finance has formulas or theories to help us get an answer that could mean we can get answer if we follow the rules so I feel like it is a straight forward subject. Once we get the concept we can get an answer while art is different. It does not have any limitation to frame an idea. This uniqueness made me feel free and like it even more. I don't like to get a feeling that I did something in a wrong way while study Math or science gave me that kind of sense. It is really stress me out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Num, I agree with you that finance is straight forward. And I admire professional in the art field as they are confident and independent on their ideas. Three years ago, I attended an open house of a design school in Bangkok. They said that the important of education in design school is to help students find their own styles, because it depends on who you are when it comes to design things. I like that idea, and it reminded me about my favorite rock brand: 30 Second to Mars, and my favorite single: Alicia Keys.

    ReplyDelete
  4. As I read your comment on Architecture. This makes me feel excited as I love traveling to different cities and countries. When I go to a historical city, It occurs to me that architecture in each place related to their lifestyle, history, and culture. Like every action has a root cause in P Kitt's introduction, I also think every architecture has a root cause as well. What is inspiration? the reason to built? and the function to use?. And my favorite part is I can see Humen's intelligence reflex through works of architecture, Some represent only Ideas combine with emotion, shape, and color but also some combine with engineering knowledge and function which is fascinating. When I see some idea which I never thought about or never think it can possibly be made. This makes me happy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Prim, I'm glad to see that you have successfully posted a comment on our class blog. Is blogger working OK now?

      Delete
  5. Phing, I'm glad you added a photograph to show the cross of light. It does look impressive. When I talked with my friends at university who were studying architecture, it seemed very complex because it has to bring together so many elements and considerations, from engineering issues to social and psychological issues.

    YOur comment about the light in the church make me think of my home. I love the location, and the size is fine for one person, but I wish the architects had designed the building so that more light was let in! The high ceilings are great, making it seem airy and spacious, but the one small window is not enough! Worse, since my building was built some 30+ years ago, another condo building has gone up next to it, which reduces the light even more.

    Sorry. Your class starts in a few minutes, so I should stop writing and get ready.

    ReplyDelete

Before you click the blue "Publish" button for your first comment on a post, check ✔ the "Notify me" box. You want to know when your classmates contribute to a discussion you have joined.

A thoughtful response should normally mean writing for five to ten minutes. After you state your main idea, some details, explanation, examples or other follow up will help your readers.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.