Tuesday 19 January 2021

Prim's academic interests


A favourite academic area formally studied


            Since I remember, I always enjoyed studying mathematic in school, high school, and university. Mathematic is my favorite academic subject after all.  

 

Why is that? Asking myself this question then spending my time thinking about What is the reason? ,  What kind of person I am ? and what personalities I have ? which influents me to be in this area. For a more accurate analysis, Let go back to my childhood I was a play full student not a reading or studying type at all. During my lunch break, I always seek out of the classroom to play basketball with my friends and after school also. I'm always being represented as a sport and energetic student. After trying to understand my behavior, I realize that I didn’t like studying at all but I like competition. This is why I like playing sport and it’s the reason I like Math as well. Because it always presents itself that way, a problem for me to solve to complete with myself. Solved, found a solution, and answered. The harder It becomes, the eager and energetic I feel to solve it. 

 

When I went to high school, I studied science-math, and even when I went to a university I still chose where they teach math. And after a long period of solving problems. Mathematic allow me to learn by understanding the concepts not by remembering stories or sentences which is totally not my strong suit. In the end not only the equation answers I got but also the skills of analysis, processing, logical thinking, and a way to never give up before finding solutions which I can adapt to my life experience and work as well.



A favourite academic area not formally studied

           

            I'm always interested in studying the language. Whenever I have free time I love traveling, visiting other countries, seeing different cultures and eating different foods. I’m always being inspired by talking and listening to people aspects and their experiences in life. According to that, I see language as a way to connect myself to the world and communicate with other people to understand and exchange knowledge and thoughts.  So one of my favorite hobbies is to learn languages. Right now, although I don’t have a lot of free time, I try to spend my time apart from work studying English and Deutch. Which actually generate from the same root line. 

And although we have covid 19 situations,  We spend a lot of time in our home, our hometown, and our country. We lack inspiration and diversity in life. I hope we all can still enjoy our hobbies and find happiness in everyday life, doesn’t have to be a big thing but can start from small things in life such as a smile or your favorite books. Then we can pass this situation together and continue our life as normal. Having the chance to experience and travel to other places again and communicate with people in other cultures and languages.

5 comments:

  1. Prim's personality that pushed her to love mathematics sounds very different to mine, but I have to confess that I also liked being the best at something in my class, and mathematics always gave me that. I agree more completely with Prim's point that mathematics is about undersatnding and being able to apply general principles to new questions. That was great preparation for my major in philosophy, where in addition to moral philosophy, I specialized in formal logic. Unfortunately, I have to confess to a similar reality to the one I mention in my comment on Earth's post above: simply being good at moral philosophy doesn't necessarily translate to being any more moral than other people; I'm pretty sure I'm not. I might be better at spotting flaws or inconsistencies how people defend what they do, but as Dan Ariely discovered in his experiments on Harvard University students (see my introduction), I'm pretty sure I'm about as averagely dishonest as almost everyone is, and subject to the same external influences to moderate my internal controls.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your reason why you like Mathematic was draw me an attention. Since I also like Math when I was young but I had a different reason from you. Actually, I love math until I was in high school. Later on, I has lost an interest because it was too difficult to understand. Personally, I found that solving problem dose not give me a competition feeling but it gave me a feeling of accomplishing things. When I found the way to get an answer, I feel that I complete my task. As a kid every time that I cannot solving my Math homework I felt disappoint that my homework was not complete and how could I return my homework to my teacher in the next morning. This made me stress out a lot so I cried often when I was not able to solving it. As a kid, feeling completing a task was my priority goal. I cried hard when I cannot find a right solution for my Math homework and I have to leave it blank. This made me felt struggle and uncomfortable that I can not find the way out and complete it. Once I can solve it, I felt very happy and relax. Another reason that I like Math, may be because I was very lazy student. Math dose not need any recitation, once we understand the concept we can solve it easily. That's why I like it more than other subject.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Num, you reminded me about this question: why are many people scare of math? Although I am not good at math, I have never cried when I faced difficult math questions. I listened to TED Talk and they discussed about the reasons why many people find math is frightening. They gave an example of a 9-year old child who made a phone call to 911 and cried because he couldn't solve a math problem. By the way, I would like to be good at math, so I brought a book Secrets Of Mental Math to improve my math skills. I like the book because it allows me to play around with numbers and I can see new ways of looking at math. It is like magic when I can do calculation in my head quickly without using a calculator.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Num, you reminded me about this question: why are many people scare of math? Although I am not good at math, I have never cried when I faced difficult math questions. I listened to TED Talk and they discussed about the reasons why many people find math is frightening. They gave an example of a 9-year old child who made a phone call to 911 and cried because he couldn't solve a math problem. By the way, I would like to be good at math, so I brought a book Secrets Of Mental Math to improve my math skills. I like the book because it allows me to play around with numbers and I can see new ways of looking at math. It is like magic when I can do calculation in my head quickly without using a calculator.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Prim, I also enjoy studying languages. I do agree with you that culture is another component in learning languages. I always find it is interesting to explore and experience when learning a language. What surprise me most is that after indulging in another culture for a certain period, my thought, perception, and reactions to situations have been changing and become different from my siblings . From time to time, I even felt being alienated.

    ReplyDelete

Before you click the blue "Publish" button for your first comment on a post, check ✔ the "Notify me" box. You want to know when your classmates contribute to a discussion you have joined.

A thoughtful response should normally mean writing for five to ten minutes. After you state your main idea, some details, explanation, examples or other follow up will help your readers.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.