Thursday 31 July 2008

J's question in class

When she was explaining why a writer might want to say "In my opinion" this morning, J made another point that I think is worth reflecting on and responding to. Her point was that if someone reads your paragraph or essay, they have to rely on and accept the supporting points you give. The well chosen example that J used was that a reader might not have a copy of Quest in front of her, so she has to accept the supporting details about the painting that J gave in her paragraph.

What do you think about this?

2 comments:

  1. I also thought that Academic writing has to writed base on definite evidence. so I worried about when someone read my writing and get wrong information. but if i can support and convict of my opinion strongly, it could be academic writing. is it right? so, if J agree with me, we can not use "in my opinion or i think" etc.

    ReplyDelete
  2. From J's question,I think that's not a problem if you want to tell or give your opinion to other people but it can't convince them because they just aware and may ignore or don't believe your opinion.For this reason, if you want to make your writing look more realistic that can attract many reader to believe your opinion.You should not write"In my opinion" or "I think" in your writing. It is a technique that can make your writing to be an academic writing.

    ReplyDelete

Before you click the blue "Publish" button for your first comment on a post, check ✔ the "Notify me" box. You want to know when your classmates contribute to a discussion you have joined.

A thoughtful response should normally mean writing for five to ten minutes. After you state your main idea, some details, explanation, examples or other follow up will help your readers.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.