Wednesday 22 October 2008

One of the best grammar reference book.

I'm really impressed by this very comprehensive and detailed manual for english usage. However, this is not a grammar book for self-learning because its contents are arranged alphabetically like a dictionary unlike other general grammar books which are arranged by importances but it best suits for advanced learners. I think Peter is also using this book as a reference book.

This link below contain the PDF file of Practical English Usage written third edition by Michael Swan. Please be informed that using this file may violate copyright law using for your preview purpose only. I actually had bought this book but I bought it again at the current book exhibition ending tomorrow at very discounted price (300 baht). However, with this electronic file, it is more convenient to use because you can search function without flip around from page to page in the printed out book.

http://www.junjaowka.com/webboard/showthread.php?p=214744

2 comments:

  1. James is right. This is an excellent reference grammar, not a text book to study. It's the one I refer to first, and I sometimes refer students to a section in it.

    I haven't looked at James's links to the pdf version, so don't know what they are like.

    I wish it, or something similar, were readily available as an electronic version or, even better, an online version. I'm sure it will come, but not today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Peter in this PDF version, It's 100% similar to book version with an wonderful search-able ability. I think they made this PDF by using OCR Program to scan every page of the book.

    ReplyDelete

Before you click the blue "Publish" button for your first comment on a post, check ✔ the "Notify me" box. You want to know when your classmates contribute to a discussion you have joined.

A thoughtful response should normally mean writing for five to ten minutes. After you state your main idea, some details, explanation, examples or other follow up will help your readers.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.