Sunday 21 October 2012

Do Thai governments act to help Thai farmers?

As I brought up for discussion in class on Wednesday, and as you will have noticed reading the first drafts of your classmates' essays about an economic system, some people want to talk about the reasons why governments do what they do, and these are often moral reasons: for example, that governments should narrow income gaps between rich and poor citizens; or that they should stop wealth going overseas. Less directly moral but still citing reasons why are such ideas as: laws are made to protect local industry, or import taxes are used to discourage luxury spending, and so on.

Since a lot of us clearly do want to discuss these sorts of important questions, which Hartmann's much easier question does not require, this is a more relaxed place to hold that sort of discussion. I've thought of a couple of related issues on one, deliberately narrow topic, that I think might productively be argued.
  • Should Thai governments help Thai farmers? 
  • Do Thai governments act to help Thai farmers? 
  • Do Thai governments help Thai farmers? 
Two notes: first, these questions are all different. I have not said the same thing in three different ways as I sometimes do for clarity. Second, they are simple present tense and refer to all Thai governments. I specifically thought of the current and every previous Thai government, or at least all for the past 30 years or so, but you are free to be less general in your responses. 

Please feel welcome to share your ideas on any or all of these three different, but related, questions. Not being from Thailand is not a problem: you can respond with comparisons or simply share your ideas from a non-Thai perspective. 

4 comments:

  1. And just to start the discussion. My guess is that many people think the answers are, in order: Yes; Yes; and Yes.

    I don't agree with any of these. I think the correct answers are: Yes, but... ; No; and No.

    To persuade me to change my mind, present your evidence and reasons.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And if you agree with me, present your evidence and reasons that I have not.

      Delete
  2. Should Thai government help Thai farmers?
    I think Thai government firstly concern about Thai farmer because it is main career in Thailand.
    Thai government should support Thai farmers especially education. They products will be profitable if they correctly know all related skills about their farms. For example, farmers can know what is different soil in their lands and how to fertilize and cultivate land in order to suit each specific plants. The right soil for the right plants make the better productivity. Moreover, the government should support technology and utility to help farmer improve their products. For example, the government should provide widespread water supply to access to almost all farmer, especially the area have low rate of rainfall. Furthermore, the government should give knowledge about related fields such as economy and business in order to protect farmer from exploiters and to create their own markets.
    I don't understand much about the price insurance of agriculture products in Thailand. However, if it means the government control the price, I completely disagree with this policy. I think farmer should freely gather themselves to determine their products prices. As my classmate said that the government control the price because they try to remain our low living cost. I care a little about that even if we can effort to pay for our lives. I mean if the products price are high, our incomes are also high. I think it is balanced.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another thing that seemed a little odd to me, although perhaps not to you as you read your classmates' essays on the topic, is that the great majority of Thai students appear to think that tradition plays a zero or negligible role in the modern Thai economy.

    I agree with the one student who thinks, and solidly supported, that this common believe among the Thai members of the class is completely wrong. As is so often the case, being common and popular is largely irrelevant to the truth of any belief.

    ReplyDelete

Before you click the blue "Publish" button for your first comment on a post, check ✔ the "Notify me" box. You want to know when your classmates contribute to a discussion you have joined.

A thoughtful response should normally mean writing for five to ten minutes. After you state your main idea, some details, explanation, examples or other follow up will help your readers.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.