Friday 5 October 2012

Facebook Users


I have used facebook almost every day since 2010 because I get in touch with my friends easily, and it has replaced email or other social networks for me.

According to “Facebook surpasses one billion users as it tempts new markets”, more than one billion people use facebook every month, and 600 million of them users access via a mobile device. Investors expect the companys management strategy targets Asia and Africa markets for getting many users because their users are only about 6%.

Many people use facebook in Thailand, and I also use it. But 3 yeas ago, I used hi5. It was not so bad for me. However, many Thai friends recommend facebook. I didn’t want to change my account and have many accounts, so I kept using hi5 at that time. Someday, I realized most of my friends had facebook accounts, and decided to use facebook and closed hi5 account. I think that it was same as hi5, nothing special. I want to know why Thai people used facebook in place of hi5. That’s why hi5 users more than facebook ones about 3 years ago.

When I read this news, I was surprised because I thought many Asian people use facebook. I see many people use it in BTS, MRT and everywhere in Bangkok. I guessed more than 20% of Asian people use it. However, this survey showed only 6.68%. I cannot believe it, so I checked some websites. And I found out an interesting survey. The largest of facebook statistics by city is Bangkok in the world (socialbakers, 2012). I was also surprised because 104.74% of the people use facebook in Bangkok. I think Thai people don’t like alone, so they want to connect their friends all the time, and it would be good tools for them.

__________
References 
Facebook surpasses one billion users as it tempts new markets. (05, Octorber 2012). BBC News Technology. Retrieved October 03, 2012 from http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-19816709 

socialbakers. (2012). Facebook Statistics by City (Beta). Retrieved October 5, 2012 from http://www.socialbakers.com/facebook-statistics/cities/ 

10 comments:

  1. Mori,
    I've just edited the citation for socialbaker and written a reference list entry.

    It's certainly an interesting website. When I checked a minute ago, the percentage of users in Bangkok was 104.74%! Ever man, woman, child and baby in Bangkok has at least one Facebook account on average, and perhaps a few of their pets as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But the really impressive statistic is for Brazil's Rio de Janeiro, with 194.72% of its people using Facebook. I wonder how many of those accounts are Grace's.

      Delete
    2. I wrote wrong information. I'm sorry.
      Thank you for telling me. I edit it.

      Delete
    3. It's not a problem.
      I did not change any of the information, only the way the citation was written. That's the only sort of minor edit I ever make to what someone else publishes here. If I think something is completely wrong, I won't change it, but I might suggest in a comment that I'm not sure it's right.

      As I said before, I think the site you referred us to after your research is well-worth a look.

      Delete
    4. I think that pets cannot get it.:) But this showed us that Thai people and pets have facebook account. :)
      Anyway, I'm also interested in statistic is for Brazil's Rio de Janeiro. I hope Grace answer your question. I'm looking forward to her answer.

      Delete
    5. My dog has no Facebook acoount, I think, his paws are not suitable to use the computer, needless to say, BB.
      Thanks to Peter, I have a FB account now and enjoy getting information about friends's activities, but I sometimes worry about giving too much personal information there.

      Delete
    6. I think you make facebook account of your dog.

      Delete
  2. A lot of my friend created accounts for their pets so that they could check in wherever they went together or did something together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think Thai people is very good at using facebook. I might have my pet account on it someday.

      Delete
    2. I thought it is a joke, that pets have their own Facebook account! It's a good idea to share information about the places where people can take their pets and what they can do there through Facebook. I'd like to check it.
      If my dog could get Facebook account and post by himself, he would complain about his diet dog food, I think.

      Delete

Before you click the blue "Publish" button for your first comment on a post, check ✔ the "Notify me" box. You want to know when your classmates contribute to a discussion you have joined.

A thoughtful response should normally mean writing for five to ten minutes. After you state your main idea, some details, explanation, examples or other follow up will help your readers.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.