Friday 5 October 2012

Facebook


I believe that most of you have Facebook accounts and access them frequently.

In “Facebook surpasses one billion users as it tempts new markets”, Dave Lee of BBC technology reports that Facebook, which is one of most popular social networks, has recently more than a billion users all over the world, which accounts for one seventh of world’s population. The fast growing users make a little concern to facebook’s investors since they are worried about how the next billion users will come.

After reading this article that Facebook has now reached more than one billion users did not surprise me at all. since most of the people I know have their own Facebook accounts. Also, a Facebook application in a smart phone give its users easy access to their accounts any place and any time. Moreover, Facebook has many interesting and useful features such as “Like” button. I really like “Like” button because it is convenient for me to share my idea without having to say anything at all. Also, I can draw my friends’ attentions by tagging them in my comments or captions. Besides, there is a location indicating where you are under your comments in Facebook page, so you can see how amazingly close you are to your friends by observing your friends’ current location.

Personally, I am benefited by from using Facebook because I could reconnect with my friends whom I have not contacted for a long time. This is because when I created my account, I had to fill in my information. Then there would be a friend suggestion popped up in order to let me know that the people who had something in common with me already used Facebook. Therefore, I could add them as friends and started chatting.

However, overuse of Facebook during the day can reduce your ability to work efficiently. For example, you may be distracted by other people sharing pictures of yummy food or attractive places. __________
Reference

Facebook surpasses one billion users as it tempts new markets. (2012, October 4). BBC News Technology. Retrieved October 5, 2012 from http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-19816709

9 comments:

  1. I agree that Facebook sometime decrease work effectively because when I worked, my colleagues had spent time to check Facebook very often. This application is really popular, but if my friends did not force me, I would not apply it. And, I check Facebook several time a day. I have not posted much about my stories, but I always read some messages or look at some pictures from my friends. That is the best advantage of Facebook which I can keep contact with my friends and know how their live keep going. I think it is really useful application.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And people really do like sharing photos of their food. Maybe I should start photographing my cooking and meals?

    Like most people, I do have a Facebook account. In fact, contrary to their rules, I have a couple. But I never use one, and don't use the other very much.

    The one I never use is a personal one I use to connect with my family members in Australia, except I don't really. But it has been interesting seeing some of the things my young nieces and nephews, and their boyfriends and girlfriends, post. If my partner were writing stuff for the whole world to read like "I love you M***** F******. You are the bee's knees," and so on at great length it might cause disharmony in the relationship.

    But maybe I'm just excessively old-fashioned in some of my attitudes. It is nice to know that they're actively enjoying their lives. At least they don't publish all the details of what they do in private.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should start sharing your cooking and meal! And you will see how amazing number of people who are interested in your activity.
      For the personal stuff topic, a lot of my friends had to share what they were doing and where were they so that their parents could follow them. Sometimes their parents sent me friend requests as well.

      Delete
    2. Many foreigners feels surprised when they see or know that many Thai people share their everyday life, especially their meal and people they meet in a day, on their Facebook accounts.

      However, I think it's not strange because Facebook is a social network that everyone would like to get in touch with their friends, family, and acquaintances.

      Delete
  3. We read same news. I like “Like” button, too. But sometime this button is not fit. For example, I wrote "I lost my wallet at the Mall Bangkap." on facebook. My friends use "Like" button. However, I don't like this situation. I wonder that we can choose "Hate" or "Like" before we post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree that sometimes it's not proper to use "Like" botton in some bad situation that We shared. However, in some cases I think that my friends just wanted to express their sympathy without saying anything and it meant they would be beside me.
      In addition, because of its easy use button there were many people pressed this button carelessly. For example, I just wanted to shared one of my friend that I had completely done recieving a reward for her by tagging her in the photo but my other friends misunderstood that I myself had recived it and said congratulations to me.

      Delete
  4. Facebook can be good to share many things to our friends but sometime I spent too much times on it that not good, because I did not do something else.

    Normally I read or write a book when I have free time but now I spend almost of time in facebook.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with Facebook's ideas in Africa area developed Facebook feature to embed into mobile phones because of easiness. It seems the company made it easily for normal people in these countries to use their application. I through it might be useful in Thailand because sometime elder people want to use facebook but they don't want to understand how to use computer or how to use the internet any more.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with Jan that facebook can be good, because we can be in contact with friends and family. But if you don't pay attention in how many hours you spend in front of computer or cell phone... you can have a trouble. We can lose a lot of time using the facebook, and it is not good for us.
    A few months ago, I stopped to use facebook during 45 days. It was amazing, because I had more time to do others things which ones I didn't have time to do before, as read a book or study.

    ReplyDelete

Before you click the blue "Publish" button for your first comment on a post, check ✔ the "Notify me" box. You want to know when your classmates contribute to a discussion you have joined.

A thoughtful response should normally mean writing for five to ten minutes. After you state your main idea, some details, explanation, examples or other follow up will help your readers.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.