Tuesday 22 September 2015

Do human beings matter?

The sad situation, or not so sad and deserving according to many, of refugees from Syria and other nations that desperately want to find a new home in Europe and other Western nations has been in the news a lot lately. Some of the stories, and some comments from friends and family on Facebook, sadden and anger me, but there was an encouraging one in the BBC News yesterday.

In "How Sweden tries to assimilate its influx of refugees," Edwin Lane writes that the Swedish government, motivated by a desire to do what is morally right. even at considerable financial cost, welcomes many refugees every year, treating them with respect because they are human beings (2015). This includes helping them learn Swedish and other skills to fit into life and to find jobs that make the best use of their skills, which are often considerable.

Obviously, I think that other nations, every other nation, has an obligation to help the less fortunate, and that includes accepting them as refugees. Unfortunately, my mother is one of the Australians who think we should not offer such help to those desperately in need of it. This sometimes leads to uncomfortable moments at the dinner table on my visits home. I usually try not to comment when my mother is saying things with which I strongly disagree and find offensive, but every now and then, she says something so awful that I think she should be corrected, so I do. It does  not make her happy, but I suspect she calls refugees and immigrants lazy people who take the jobs of real Australians, and much worse, much less when I'm there because she knows I won't just let it all politely pass. Politeness is important, but you can be polite while honestly speaking unwelcome truths.  My mother is totally wrong factually as well as morally: nations that accept refugees tend to do better economically for the very good reason that such people are willing to work very hard to make a better life for themselves and their families. The Australiane xperience , also the experience of the US and many others, is strong evidence for this. Almost everyone in Australia, except the Aboriginal people who were there 40,000 years before we invaded, are at most second or third generation: my own Italian ancestors only sought a better life in Australia in the 1880s, and when they arrived, they worked very hard, contributing greatly to the economic and social health of Australia. That my own mother, whose own parents were immigrants, is so anti-immigrant seems a bit weird to me.

80,000 refugees a year, in
a county of less then 10 million.
But even for nations not founded on recent immigrants, it does seem to me the right thing to welcome in new citizens. Certainly, there are difficulties, but I think that people who are willing to make such a radical move are very likely to be both willing and able to succeed in their new home: the Chinese who settled in Thailand after the communist take over of China and earlier to escape the turmoil and poverty in their homeland seem to me to have contributed  a lot to Thailand. How many immigrants does Thailand settle permanently, granting them Thai citizenship each year? Tiny Sweden with with a population of only 10 million, takes in 80,000 new people who will become Swedish citizens every year. This puts my country to shame, although in the past, we have done much better. Perhaps it's economic fear that now drives Australia to be less generous, to be less willing to do the right thing morally. But I'm sure that that thinking is wrong. My Italian immigrant ancestors made Australia a better country, as did the Greeks, the Vietnamese, the Cambodians, and even the English who first invaded my country, turning the native residents they did not kill off into socially damaged outcasts living miserable lives.
__________
Reference
Lane, E. (2015, September 21). How Sweden tries to assimilate its influx of refugees. BBC News. Retrieved from http://www.bbc.com/news/business-34261065

4 comments:

  1. Your mother's attitude is also found in Singaporeans but may be worse because they have the same race! Don't be afraid most of world citizens are Machiavellian rather than humanitarian. But your conclusion may be wrong for the Aboriginal people or in terms of global warming, the western immigration may made Australian worse. haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The invasion by the British certainly made Australia a worse place to live for the people who were already there. Thankfully my ancestors didn't commit the worst crimes against those inhabitants: the British did that. But I don't think my grandparents and great-grandparents were innocent, even if the harm that they did was unintentional rather than deliberate.
      And if you go back in history not so far, I suspect that everyone's ancestors committed or colluded in atrocities: human history is not very nice. But I think it's getting better. The world today is much less violent than in the past, and I suspect that modern Australia, because of the forced import of Western culture, is a less violent society than it was for the 40,000 years before my ancestors arrived to take over.

      Delete
    2. I hope so. Our world may be better like Lennon's imagine song.Even though I think the world of imperialism with physical violence may shift to economical imperialism for instance.

      Delete
  2. The figure of refugees in Sweden compared to its population as well as humanitarian Sweden’s policy for them would reflect that it considered human beings and paid attention to good morality. Although some counties might not be so generous as Sweden is, it doesn’t mean they are without kindness or morals. On the contrary, if they were not able to make their citizens live well and happily but take care immigrants too much, such action and policy for refugee would make no benefits since their population still encounter with trouble.

    It seems to me that what we should contemplate is not how much each country should welcome refugees from other countries (a perceived problem) and how to take care them, but instead we should seek for a good, appropriate solution of the real problem—What actually causes refugee to leave their country?

    ReplyDelete

Before you click the blue "Publish" button for your first comment on a post, check ✔ the "Notify me" box. You want to know when your classmates contribute to a discussion you have joined.

A thoughtful response should normally mean writing for five to ten minutes. After you state your main idea, some details, explanation, examples or other follow up will help your readers.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.