Saturday 26 September 2015

Help! How could I have been saved from disappointment?

In my last blog post, I told a story about dog meat; this is another blog post inspired by food. This time it is Neil Perry's recipe for, also the title of the article, "Buffalo mozzarella lasagne" (n.d.) (n.d. = no date for the article.) This source is not actually on my list of suggested reading sources, but we are allowed to make exceptions, and my response on reading to the end was quite strong - I was very disappointed. I came across the article when I browsing the top stories in The Sydney Morning Herald, as I do every day. I had thought of including this newspaper on my suggested reading list, but decided that we don't want to add every international print media worth reading. The Herald used to be my daily newspaper when I lived in Sydney, and it still keeps me in touch with Australia. It must have republished this recipe on the front page, because the comments start from 2013, which is not recent.

Neil Perry's "buffalo mozzarella lasagne"
Following the dogs and elephants, it was the word buffalo in the title that interested me, and a fondness for lasagne. Does anyone not love lasagne? Garfield loves it. I love it. Do you love it? Anyway, on opening the page, the first thing I saw was Perry's statement that the ingredients were "all readily available" (n.d.). That sounded unlikely to me. My local Tops at Silom Complex does not stock buffalo meat, and although the supermarket at Paragon is pretty good, with such foreign delights as IbĂ©rico ham, white truffle oil, live Sydney rock oysters and so on, I don't recall having seen buffalo on sale. And when I lived in Australia, the butchers stocked kangaroo and crocodile more than they did buffalo, so I was a bit surprised by Perry's assurance.

I didn't think I'd cook it myself in Bangkok, but I thought I might point it out to my brother, who loves to cook, as a subtle hint for my next visit.

Scanning the list of ingredients for the meat sauce, I was disappointed - not a word about buffalo meat! It says 300g each of pork and veal, but 0g of buffalo!

After a few minutes thinking, I realised, on seeing the words "500g fresh buffalo or cow's-milk mozzarella"in the list of ingredients above the meat sauce, that Perry had meant not buffalo mozzarella lasagne, but buffalo-milk mozzarella. It still sounds pretty good, but I still feel some disappointment from my misunderstanding, and it was the nature of the misunderstanding that made me think this was a useful topic for an academic English class. I'm a native English user, and I'm pretty sure that Perry is, too, but we still managed to fail to communicate in our native language.

I might hint that my brother experiment with kangaroo mozzarella lasagne - no danger of confusion there, unless someone works out how to milk kangaroos in commercial quantities.
_______________________________________ 

My question is:
What could the author have done to avoid the misunderstanding that caused my disappointment? (There is no such confusion at the sensibly labelled cheese counter at the Paragon supermarket.)

___________
Reference
Perry, N. (n.d.). Buffalo mozzarella lasagne. Goodfood. Retrieved from http://www.goodfood.com.au/good-food/cook/recipe/buffalo-mozzarella-lasagne-20111111-29u8h.html 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Before you click the blue "Publish" button for your first comment on a post, check ✔ the "Notify me" box. You want to know when your classmates contribute to a discussion you have joined.

A thoughtful response should normally mean writing for five to ten minutes. After you state your main idea, some details, explanation, examples or other follow up will help your readers.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.