Saturday 2 February 2019

Amazon delivery by robots

What I read

According to “Amazon Scout robots take to pavements in Washington State” (2019), six automatic robots deliver goods on footpaths around Snohomish county, operate during the daytime and are accompanied by an Amazon employee. They automatically lift their lids when the customer comes to get the goods. In 2007, the San Francisco supervisor restricted their usage: each company can use only three robots, each robot has to operate in a certain area and be accompanied by a human.

___________________________________ 

My response 

After I'd read this news, In my opinion, this is a good idea to delivery things by using robots because it is cheaper than hiring employees to deliver things and it is much safer than driving cars to deliver things. Also, robots can work better than humans, they don't need to rest and they only want electricity for living which is cheaper than employee's salaries.

However, Using robots to deliver things can cause problems, for example, the unemployment rate will go up because no one is going to use human to deliver things so, it had rules about using robot such as, limited amount per company.
___________________________________ 

My question

Suppose that you are CEO of some delivering company. Will you use robots to deliver things? Why? 
___________________________________ 

Reference

4 comments:

  1. But doesn't California's law requiring a human to accompany the robot defeat the purpose? I was wondering what you think of this legal restriction on the machine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I personally like this news. Last year, when I traveled to Shanghai, I stayed at a hotel in the downtown. I was very surprised that they have a robot butler acting as a staff of the hotel for sending stuff to us. That time, I asked for a laundry bag by calling to the front-desk. In next 5 minute, I got a call from the robot saying that "I am Steve. Please open the door." Then, I ran to the door and open it, surprisingly, I saw Steve in front of my room. That was so cute. Consequently, I got what I want from a robot. I think in the private place such as in a hotel, a faculty or a warehouse, you can use these robots with less effort of human to stay with it. Nonetheless, in the public place such as on the public road, in my opinion, each robot should still have at lease a human to accompany it to be able to make sure that it is safe enough for others.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like your story about the hotel that use robots to do many things. I think that's a good way to impressed customer but I don't think that in the private place, you can use robots with less effort of human to stay. Suppose that the robot is going to explode inside a building because of some reason, I think it's more dangerous than exploding in public place because if the robot explode in a public place, someone is harmed and that's all, nothing is going to happen after that. But if the robot explode in the building, someone is harmed and the building will be on fire and some building nearby will be on fired too. So, I don't think that in the private place, we can use robots with less effort of human to stay .

      Delete
  3. I am one waiting for official delivery. Over five years ago, Amazon purchased automatic warehouse system operated by a huge number of mobile robots, called Kiva system. Amazon team said that it is an effective platform to manage order and delivery stuff to customer ever. Those robots handles on goods preparation and takes them to staffs. Those staffs only respond on checking a correct item and number, and then packing into a box to delivery to customers. In the near future, when driverless cars can be operated legally, it would be a time for automatic delivery as well. By the way, I think they still need human to recheck and fix unexpected problems which are complicated for robots to make a right and compromise decision.

    ReplyDelete

Before you click the blue "Publish" button for your first comment on a post, check ✔ the "Notify me" box. You want to know when your classmates contribute to a discussion you have joined.

A thoughtful response should normally mean writing for five to ten minutes. After you state your main idea, some details, explanation, examples or other follow up will help your readers.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.