Saturday 2 February 2019

US Chuffed with UK

What I read

According to Vicky Baker writing about it in “Why Americans love the Great British Bake Off” (2019), the surprising popularity in the United States of the British cooking show, where contestants produce a series of baked items, is because it ignores politics and emphasizes kindness among competitors as they help each other overcome problems along the way to making their stuffed suet pastry, souflé, Victoria sponge or other set dish. Attracting people from varied social backgrounds, the show, which is now broadcast by NetFlix, has inspired dedicated Facebook groups, coverage in major US media, and local themed parties working to capture the friendly atmosphere of the British show, which offers no rich prize, only a simple cake stand and the honour of baking best.

___________________________________ 

My response 

Breakfast by Matthew
I liked this article because although it's not too serious, which is a major reason that the UK cooking show is popular among US audiences, it still makes a serious point: escaping from serious politics and other issues matters to us. It reminded me of when I was staying with my brother on my annual visit to Australia last Songkran. We don't normally watch TV together, but we both love food and my brother is a great cook, so an Australian cooking show was the one thing that we did watch a couple of times. But I'm afraid the Australian version of the "Great British Bake Off" isn't so friendly as the UK version seems to be. The contestants on the Australian show, whose name I forget, were not very friendly at all, and instead of helping each other, seemed much happier to delight in their fellow contestant's mistakes, perhaps because there were more substantial prizes. It was still fun to watch, but I enjoy my brother's meals a lot more. I usually only visit for about one week, but during that time, my brother cooks for me every day, always making sure I get a substantial, traditional home-cooked breakfast with eggs his free-range hens had laid the day before, bacon, and at least one yummy vegetable, and he never even lets me wash the dishes. I've never learned to use his dish washer, so maybe he worries that some of his china might suffer if I tried. He even makes my morning coffee so that I have my essential drug hit before he leaves for work. 

Mum and some nieces
The article also reminds me of how important food is in our culture. I suspect it is an important element in every culture, and it certainly helps to bring my large and often quarrelsome family together in a cheerful atmosphere where we can all sit down and catch up. In fact, while I'm there, my brother also puts on at least a couple of special meals for family members. My family is very large, so he usually does lunch one day for my mum and aunts. This is usually a traditional roast meal, with a couple of his home grown ducks beautifully prepared with plenty of trimmings: peas, potatoes and other roast vegetables, and a delicious dessert. And of course wine. My mum used to cook these meals about once a week, but she's 88 now, and although still living independently, she doesn't cook much, preferring to let others do that. After raising eight children, I think she deserves to relax a bit. 

Going to check the koalas
My family are of Italian descent, and the first thing my Australian ancestors did when they arrived in the bush 140 years ago was clear some land and plant the grape cuttings they had brought from Italy so that they could make their own wine. We don't make wine any more, but it's still a part of special meals. On another day, my brother puts on a more relaxed meal to which my brothers and sisters and their kids and family dogs all come: it's very crowded, but he has a couple of large tables set up outside so we can enjoy the scenery as we eat. My only contribution is to take him and the others out for a couple of meals at restaurants in the nearby town. I tend to gain a bit of weight on my week in Australia. 
___________________________________ 

My question

How important is food in your family? 
___________________________________ 

Reference

4 comments:

  1. It was hard limiting the selection of photographs to just three. The last one above shows another one of our family traditions. After the meal with the kids, they pile into my brother's truck to drive around spotting koalas. I usually have to join at least one expedition on foot as well. The nieces and nephews are always keen to show me my brothers cattle, the bones of any that have died, and other curiosities that they've found on his farm since my last visit. Like the meals we share, these more active rituals are a powerful reminder of how important family is, and how much fun I had growing up in the country. I've preferred living in cities for many years now, but it's still great to get dirty walking a few miles through the paddocks and bush with no sound louder than the cows mooing or a bird singing. My brother is actually only a part-time farmer. He has a full-time in an office in the nearby town, which is why I'm so impressed that he finds the time to make my breakfast before he heads off to work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This post is really interested me to think about food in every day life of mine. In my family, food is really important to bring people together. When we have food together, we always have a chance to discuss about anythings or any topics, which is absolutely excellent way to improve our relationship. My father is a person who cook and my mother always prepares ingredients for him. We are like a team. I usually help them cook or prepare food and it is really fun. I learn a lot from them. This is an indoor activity that our family can spend time together. Sometimes, my relative come to my house and we have a pleasure dinner together. Every time, when I think of our meal, I normally think of the laughing sound of people. That is the most fantastic thing in my life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Food has always been important in my family, too. I liked what you shared about the division of labour by your parents. My mum used to cook a special meal once or twice a week, but my dad did most of the daily cooking, like eggs and bacon for breakfast. My mum was a bit ahead of her time and wasn't really keen on housewife type things. She preferred working on the farm, or running meetings. She still likes to direct, which annoys my brother when he's cooking and she's standing there telling him how he should be doing it, but not actually doing anything to help.

      Delete

Before you click the blue "Publish" button for your first comment on a post, check ✔ the "Notify me" box. You want to know when your classmates contribute to a discussion you have joined.

A thoughtful response should normally mean writing for five to ten minutes. After you state your main idea, some details, explanation, examples or other follow up will help your readers.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.