Saturday 25 January 2020

Skillful 3: Reading and Writing, page 17 - Critical thinking, q.1-3 = permanence of personality

Summary 

In the reading "How Permanent Is Your Personality" (2018, pp. 15 - 16), the authors present research showing that contrary to popular belief, people's personalities do typically change over time, and they give some implications for why this might be important.
(My summary = 37 words in one sentence)

____________________________________ 

Response 

As usual after a reading, Zemach and Rogers invite us to respond critically to some of the issues raised in the reading, to agree or disagree with them, to apply them to our own lives and experiences, or to extend them in other ways.  
 
____________________________________ 

Questions

Choose one of the three questions in exercise E, Critical Thinking, on page 17. Which of the three most interests you? Think about your chosen question for about two minutes, and then write your response in a comment below. Write your six minutes. 


The three questions are: 


  1. Did the results in the study surprise you? Why or why not? Do you believe the results?  
  2. What are some factors that could cause someone to change (his or her) their personality? 
    The link is to a note on singular "they" in the grammar section of Lexico. You might like to follow that up later. 
     
  3. What do you think the results of this study imply for ascribed, achieved, and chosen identity traits? Can they all change do you think? Why or why not?  


____________________________________ 

Reference

  • Rogers, L. & Zemach, D. E. (2018). Skillful 3: Reading & Writing (2nd. ed.). London: Macmillan Education

5 comments:

  1. The results in the study didn't surprise me at all because in my family, everyone's personality had changed over the time. Like me. When I was 12 years old, I am a lazy boy, I don't complete any homework. So the result is I got a worst grade in my class. But now, I think that I have much more responsibility on doing homework than before just because I trained myself like in the passage said. So I believe in the results of the research.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Although the results of the study surprised me at first, when I thought about them more, they do make sense. But the question that most interested me was number 3, which asks us about the implications for ascribed, achieved and chosen personality traits.

    I don't think that ascribed personality traits are normally changeable. For example, I will always be the oldest of my siblings, and I will always be a male, although I suppose that could be changed if I really wanted to; some men do change sex to become women, and vice versa, but I'm not planning to make that change. And I'm not sure that would be a personality change, anyway. In fact, most ascribed identity traits are not about personality: nationality, sex, age, and so on, are not my personality, although they might have some effect. Perhaps the ideas in the reading suggest that personality might be affected by the culture you grew up in, so that ascribed trait of nationality or initial religious belief could affect your personality.

    The biggest impact is likely to be on achieved traits. If we can change our personalities, that means that we can achieve more than we might have thought. I don't know whether I could ever be a champion football player, but I could change my personality of disliking sport to become interested in it, and then start playing football, which I might become OK at. And that sounds like chosen identity traits as well as achieved. And if personality is something inherited, that does mean it's ascribed, so perhaps the research reported in the article does mean that all aspects of our identity can be changed more than we think.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think the study results is not surprise me as it quite same as my opinion. I believed that because of i think personality can be changed depends age , experience and improvement such as I ever don't like some person in my workplace who always mad moods and don't lister other opinion only just beleive in her opinion but after my boss blaim and dicuss with her. Now she already changed to control herself and open her mind. Another example is me.
    I ever be a person whpo quite shy to talk and shows opinion but when i growth up and work .I changed yourself to be more confident to shows my ideas and my opinion and accept another comment from other for imporve my skills. So, That's why i beleived this result.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think the results can imply for ascribed, achieved, and chosen identity traits because the personality which is changed over the year can be depend on your identity traits. for example, my personality in the ascribed trait may be very confident and very active. but, when I'm in the achieved trait which is being the student of political student and I meet some new friends that very more active and better at political science than me so that I feel unconfident and less active. It means that I think those traits can be changed your personality over the time depending on your choose.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The results is not that surprising, but still a little surprising. I believe that people's personally can change through experiences they had, but not change into an entirely new person. When talking about managers' traits in paragraph 10, I don't think you can train them that easily because I think personalities are hard to change and it will be like you force them to change personalities instead. I think it will take at least years to change and hiring a replacement is a lot easier.

    ReplyDelete

Before you click the blue "Publish" button for your first comment on a post, check ✔ the "Notify me" box. You want to know when your classmates contribute to a discussion you have joined.

A thoughtful response should normally mean writing for five to ten minutes. After you state your main idea, some details, explanation, examples or other follow up will help your readers.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.