Sunday 27 April 2008

Fu's van Gogh question: How important is it?

Ward in the Hospital in Arles, by Vincent van Gogh, April, 1889. At the end of Fu's review of Pui's paragraph about the painting on page 165 of Quest, he asked, "****Is it vangoh painting?????" It's a good question, and a good example of the sort of thing that would be worth posting about on this class Blog, either to ask for information and the opinions of others, or to share your own ideas.
As I'm sure some of you have realised, it is a painting by van Gogh. In your paragraphs, a couple of people have also used the colour of the painting in supporting reasons for their opinion about it, and when I reviewed Top's paragraph, that was something I commented on (notes 8 & 9).
The painting is Ward in the Hospital in Arles. It's an oil by van Gogh, who painted it in April 1889.

Some questions that you might like to respond to with a comment are:

  • Does knowing this make any difference to your answer to the question?
  • Should it make any difference? Why? Why not?
  • Does seeing a more accuretely coloured copy of the original make any difference to your opinion about the painting?
  • Do you know anything else about the painting that might be relevant to the question you answered last week?
  • Has anyone done a bit of research and found out anything relevant to our question about the painting?
My thanks to Fu and Top for suggesting this as a discussion topic.

5 comments:

  1. I think it does not make any diference to my answer because this question is wide-open and can use many reasons to support so I didn't talk about him in my answer.It is not important to know about this picture that painted by Van Gogh for answering this question.Color of the picture may be help to support more effectively because a tone of color can tell picture's mood. If i didn't see a file you send to us that you called it "van gogh",i would not know who painted it. Although i have seen other van gogh's painting before.I did not realize it is vangogh painting.lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. According to “What is in a name?” said by Shakespeare, The point of discussion of painting is the meaning of it. If we get bake to the topic, if that painting should be the opener for “abnormal psychology”, we can find out that is not necessary to know who painted it or what the painting name is. I do not deny that question is not good, it is. When we know the painting was painted by Van Goh, our attitude may be affected but not for me. My opinion focuses on meaning of the painting. Even though I know that painting by Van Goh, I still do not make something different.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it's not imfortant know about who draw painting because it's a different focous if you know that the painting was drawen by van gogh it will not helpful to the topic that the painting use as opener cheapter6 abnormal psychology.

    ReplyDelete
  4. when I know that this is Van Gogh's painting. I think this is invaluable painting that was painted by one of the most famous artist in the world. There are some colors in this picture, so it is not colorless nor dull. Thus, My opinion about the question would be change. I think the painting should not be the opener for “abnormal psychology” because it looks like lovely hospital instead of sad mental hospital.

    ReplyDelete
  5. When I wrote my homework about this picture.I didn't know that this picture was painted by Van Gogh but it make me remind him.So I do a research on the internet ,however I coundn't find who painted this picture.Lucky me that I was right.It was painted by Van Gogh.Thanks to Peter to post the answer on this blog.

    ReplyDelete

Before you click the blue "Publish" button for your first comment on a post, check ✔ the "Notify me" box. You want to know when your classmates contribute to a discussion you have joined.

A thoughtful response should normally mean writing for five to ten minutes. After you state your main idea, some details, explanation, examples or other follow up will help your readers.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.