Tuesday 29 April 2008

Steinbeck v. Shakespeare: not so easy

Macbeth, by William Shakespeare. Oxford World Classics edition. Last week, Tip borrowed a book about Shakespeare from the library, and when I read and responded to her comments, I decided that I would like to reread Macbeth. Macbeth was my first experience of Shakespeare, and it wasn't easy. I was twelve years old, and English was not my favourite subject, and Shakespeare definitely did not write in modern English! Perhaps that play helped me to see how exciting literature could be. In fact, it's such a bloody story, like a lot of classics, that I wonder if it would not be banned in some countries today. When I read Romeo and Juliet, I thought it must be even more shocking to the people who worry about protecting children from anything naughty. But I that's not what I wanted to write about.

After brainstorming for a couple of hours after class today, I finally decided that the book I would like to compare with Of Mice and Men's first two chapters was Macbeth. I was surprised how difficult it was just to decide on my topic.
Then, I started thinking about the similarities and differences. I think I've spent about two hours doing that so far. Not constantly, but as I was eating, that's what was running through my mind, and then I finished reading (rereading really) chapter two of Of Mice and Men, and as I was reading that, I was thinking of what was the same as and what was different to Shakespeare's story. Then I decided to read the beginning of Macbeth again, again, just to help me get more ideas about the similarities and the differences.

Now, I've got lots of ideas, but I still haven't decided what my main idea will be, so I can't write a thesis statement yet. But I've got a couple more hours yet. I think I'll take a break, then come back and think about it a bit more. I do have a vague idea about what I want to say about the two stories, but I haven't really decided whether the similarities or the differences are more important. Of course, there are a lot more contrasts that are easy to see, but are they more important than the similarities?

Perhaps I should just write a temporary topic sentence and see if I can support it? I can always change it later if decide that first idea can't really be supported.

4 comments:

  1. First i did your homework in QUEST.I finished them though It's pretty hard. I'm not sure with my answers.Then I read Of Mice and Men again and again to find more detail and read The In Visible Man to compare. I listed the similarity and difference and had same problems. I could not decide what is my main idea.should I talk about difference or should I talk about similarity? I tried to write about difference as it's a topic but i cant write anything about it so I changed it. It's easier to write in this way.I'm happy with it now.I spent very long time on this assignment.You can see what was the time that I sent my work to you lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Steinbeck VS H.G.Wells : very difficult!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think the difficulty is that the question is very general, and you have to narrow it down to one main idea that you can discuss in one paragraph. I found it difficult becuase at first I thought: What can I write about? Then after thinking about it a bit I thought there was much too much to include in one paragraph, so I can not use a lot of the ideas that I thought of.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think so a book about Shakespeare that is a good book, because I know Shakespeare who was great writing play in London and Shakespeare had written famous literatures such as "Hamlet" and "Romeo and Juliet." especially,"Romeo and Juliet" which is a love story which they are surprisingly Romio dies before and after Juliet dies by herself. I used to read this story and interested it. and I read Of Mice and Men in chapter 2, I start interest this story between George and Lennie, They hope and want to made their dreem. Both stories are quite different and they is interested to different by someone who like to read a love story or drama story, and I think so both book is good for me and I can get many ideas for writing from this book

    ReplyDelete

Before you click the blue "Publish" button for your first comment on a post, check ✔ the "Notify me" box. You want to know when your classmates contribute to a discussion you have joined.

A thoughtful response should normally mean writing for five to ten minutes. After you state your main idea, some details, explanation, examples or other follow up will help your readers.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.