Saturday 10 January 2009

Happy New Year, and Welcome to AEP in 2009

I hope everyone had an enjoyable break for Christmas and the New Year. I certainly enjoyed not waking at 4:45 AM every morning, although now I have to readjust my sleep pattern very quickly to my work timetable. It won't work if I wake up at 10:00 AM when I have a class at 8:00 AM. But it will be good to be back at AUA, to see some old faces again, and to meet the new students in AEP. 
Getting up late is really just the result of going to bed late, and that was the real benefit of the break for me. It meant I could go out with friends without having to worry about the following morning. I also like to read late at night. Last night, for example, I got home around 1:00 AM, but instead of going to bed like I should have, I settled down to read a bit more of E. F. Benson's Queen Lucia, which is a wonderfully funny book about the high society wars in a small English village that Benson had published in 1920. The next think I knew, it was almost 4:00 AM! 

And when we think of New Year, we think of New Year resolutions! At least, that's common in western cultures. I didn't make any special New Year resolutions for myself, although I have started working out again after a break of a few months. However, I did think just now that a good resolution for the new AUA year would be to encourage my students to write more, so I'm thinking of ways to do that. If you're in my AEP class, or even a regular class, you'll be learning more about that soon. 

3 comments:

  1. Happy new year!! This years I weren't enjoin at all, because I am going to exam TOEFL next mouth(28 Feb 2009), but my English skill still poor. Although it is better than before study AEP, I think it's not enough to get points more than 8o. Consequently, I have to study much more hard than ever.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy New Year, Peter.
    I am a old face student ^^haha
    I'm really glad to study in your class again.
    Very happy to learn English in level 6 with you, even though I absent today to do someting in the morning. In the first month of new year, I might be with quite tough homework. Wow, very excited^_^ See you tomorrow morning!

    ReplyDelete

Before you click the blue "Publish" button for your first comment on a post, check ✔ the "Notify me" box. You want to know when your classmates contribute to a discussion you have joined.

A thoughtful response should normally mean writing for five to ten minutes. After you state your main idea, some details, explanation, examples or other follow up will help your readers.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.