Thursday 15 January 2009

P's ideas about heroes

When you was a child, you had your own heroes in your mind. So do I, when I was a child, superman is my hero. He is a perfect man. He is handsome, powerful, kind, and helpful. He can fly so he can save people's life as soon as he knows that they need help. I think it is amazing. However, when I grow up, I know that it's just the imagination. He is in the movie. He doesn't exist. Meanwhile, when I grow up, I live with my family. I saw a lot of wonderful ideas from my father. He is clever, kind, helpful ,and understanding. Therefore, my ideas of heroism changed, I think that hero no need to have powerful but helpful. Since the time changed, we don't have to fight like in the past. So powerful is not necessary. We deal with the problem with our brain. Consequencely, The word 'heroes' for me is changed. They can be everyone who can help other people in every situations, sometimes they just listen to people's problems. Then, those can solve their problems by themselves because sometimes people just want someone to listen. Actually, this is hard to do because listening is difficult to do more than speaking.

2 comments:

  1. Do you think someone has to be real to be a hero?

    ReplyDelete
  2. P wrote that "listening is difficult to do more than speaking," which reminded me of something completely different: TOEFL tests.
    People often think that speaking is more difficult than listening, but when you look at he results, listening skills are often more of a problem in TOEFL, and sometimes also in class, than is speaking. Similarly, reading isn't always easier than writing, even though it seems easier. Students are more likely to do poorly because of weak reading skills than weak writing!
    I think part of the reason for this is that when you are speaking or writing, you are in control and you know what you're doing, whereas in listening, you can't know what the speaker is going to say next, and it's easy to miss something and get lost. That's also why we want to make sure that we have a clear understanding of the first chapter of Lord of the Flies. If you get lost in the first chapter, that will make it hard to follow the rest of the novel.

    Thank you P for making such a thought provoking comment, even if the thought it prompted was completely unrelated to your topic. That's OK - this is a blog post, not a piece of academic writing, so we can write whatever ideas come to mind. The important thing is that we express our ideas in clear sentences. I hope mine are clear.

    ReplyDelete

Before you click the blue "Publish" button for your first comment on a post, check ✔ the "Notify me" box. You want to know when your classmates contribute to a discussion you have joined.

A thoughtful response should normally mean writing for five to ten minutes. After you state your main idea, some details, explanation, examples or other follow up will help your readers.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.