Friday 30 January 2009

What would you like to read next?

This weekend, we will all finish Lord of the Flies, so naturally we're all thinking about what we would like to read next.
I think a short work by Plato would make a nice change after the novel. The work I have in mind is very short, at only 13 pages, so we could probably work through it in a couple of weeks, perhaps doing a few short articles as well. Apart from the philosophy and argument, it touches on many of the values and institutions that continue to characterize western civilisation today.

But what does everyone else think? If you have a strong preference, add a comment to this post to let us know what you think. 

4 comments:

  1. Actually, I can follow anything you choose. In level 4, you choosed many interesting things. Plato is also fine!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent, 100% in favour of Plato so far.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, I agree. However, when I start reading, I think This book's quiet difficult. Maybe we have to read it repeatly. And I think we should discuss in class frenquently because I'm not sure the point that I understand right or wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is difficult. That's why we're going slowly and carefully. It's also short, so we can go slowly and carefully.
    And it's very good practice for developing reading skills, as your excellent class discussion on Friday showed, when everyone was looking carefully at what was written to work out the meaning of "corrupting his contemporaries" and other phrases and then to make inferences about the characters and the situation.
    I think you're doing very well so far.

    And reading it again, and again, and then again, is an excellent idea.

    ReplyDelete

Before you click the blue "Publish" button for your first comment on a post, check ✔ the "Notify me" box. You want to know when your classmates contribute to a discussion you have joined.

A thoughtful response should normally mean writing for five to ten minutes. After you state your main idea, some details, explanation, examples or other follow up will help your readers.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.