Tuesday 12 January 2010

Is the E-book era here?

I came across an article in the magazine section of BBC news earlier this morning. It's named Page-turning passion. Since I consider myself as a bookworm, this article caught my attention immediately.

According to the writer, this year, which has just begun, is being convinced to be a year of electric book which makes her thinks about the importance of a book to its owner, is the new innovation going to change it or not? She starts to examine the history of books, in the past, books are manuscripts and that makes a book very expensive, as though it is an art work. Then she starts to analyze two typical habits of book readers which are annotating in books, every space plausible, and sharing books, which are annotated, with acquaintances, and she believes that electric books couldn’t provide readers such the opportunities, which are active and social activities. Therefore, the writer states that “all of which should give us pause for thought as e-enthusiasts proclaim 2010 to be the year of the electronic book.” (Unpredictable, ¶ 1) She agrees that we can make use of e-book but it can not replace the physical one.

For me, I disagree with the writer’s reasons because I don’t write anything in my books, except for text books, and I don’t share my books with others, I used to but I stopped since my expensive books were totally ruined (and also the relationship between the borrowers and me). However, I don't believe that e-books could actually replace books, too. I just love the smell of fresh new books and also libraries and book stores, can an e-book do that? E-book also can not provide me the exciting feeling of turning pages of a book in the late of the night with only a lamp on, I don't want to push on the touch screen and wait for the page to be loaded, it just doesn’t seem right. Surely, e-book would be handy, it would be very beneficial when we have to travel for a long period of time, and also readers can have chances to read rare books which are very few and hard to find, but no, it will not stop people from buying books, just like MP3 can not stop people from buying CDs. Nevertheless, I think I will buy a good e-reader when it’s launched out and I also believe that book circulations will certainly be dropped when e-book becomes a house hold name.

__________

References
Jardine, L. (2010, January 8). Page-turning passion. BBC News. Retrieved January 12, 2010 from http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/magazine/8447996.stm

No comments:

Post a Comment

Before you click the blue "Publish" button for your first comment on a post, check ✔ the "Notify me" box. You want to know when your classmates contribute to a discussion you have joined.

A thoughtful response should normally mean writing for five to ten minutes. After you state your main idea, some details, explanation, examples or other follow up will help your readers.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.