Wednesday 20 January 2010

Roong's response concerning poetry

I'm not that into poetry but I dare say I enjoy reading and writing poems. Back in my primary school days, my poems often won the first price in school's events. My classmates paid me to write love declaring poems or cursing poems. I only charged one baht per poem, so, it's not a very good business but I enjoyed it very much. I read poems which are qualified as worthy to be in textbooks when I was forced to, in Thai class. I didn't enjoy them but I understood each poem quickly and I, as a little girl, couldn't be more proud of myself.
I still write poems every once in a while, my poems are not beautiful, they are just some funny and sarcastic poems.
I think poets get their inspirations and ideas to write a poem via their own or other's experiences. I don't read many poems nowadays, but I love beautiful poems that show personalities or experiences of the poets. My favorite one would be Bai mai tee hai pai, a collection of poems written by Jiranant Pitpreecha, the poets wrote those poems in different ages of her life and they reflect the person she is at that moment. Those poems are so strong, yet beautiful, I just love them.
Good poems for me are poems I enjoyed. I hate abstract poems. I love poems with lots of rhythms and sound like a song when you read them aloud.

And I hate English poems! The words are too difficult. Moreover, they don't actually "rhyme". When you read them out load, they don't sound like they are poems, unlike Thai poems, for example, poems that written by Sunthorn-Phu, the words rhyme with each other. Regardless of the meanings, I think hip-hop music sound more like poems to me, it has rhythms and it rhymes.

1 comment:

  1. Sorry, if it's too long and boring. I like this topic and just got a little bit carried away.

    ReplyDelete

Before you click the blue "Publish" button for your first comment on a post, check ✔ the "Notify me" box. You want to know when your classmates contribute to a discussion you have joined.

A thoughtful response should normally mean writing for five to ten minutes. After you state your main idea, some details, explanation, examples or other follow up will help your readers.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.