Friday 5 October 2018

Books to Get Grips with the Pace of Life


In 'Moving too fast? Books to get to grips with the pace of life', it suggests books which related to the idea of fast living and how to slow down. According to the article, the awareness to rapid living and the solution to time saving aren't new topics that caused by today's fast-moving digital technology. From the books suggested in the article, there are many factors that effects the value of time such as the growth of capitalism in early 1900, the change in cultural value that prioritises hyper-productivity speed. The books suggested in this article are not a kind of how-to time management books but books that provoke a notion on the value of time and a question on what we want to save the time for.
___________________________________ 

My response 


The article for me is thought provoking with the question 'what do we want to save time for?'. It also made me think of the cliché questions 'What is your hobby?' or 'What do you do in free time?'. It's getting harder to answer this simple question when grow up. In childhood days, tasks for children are simple and it's not difficult to find the boundary of 'being occupied' and 'being free'. So, when I was asking as a kid I can answer immediately 'drawing'. Today, when my hobby becomes my job, my free time activity turns full time responsibility, I wouldn't say 'drawing' is my hobby anymore. Many factors effect the method I use for drawing such as economical issue, deadline or client comments. Charging in an hourly rate, meaning the fastest I produce my drawing the worth of money I get. For me this is sad because deeply I would like to list 'drawing' as one of the things I want to save time for.

___________________________________ 

My question

What do you want to save time for?
___________________________________ 

Reference

  • Judy Wajcman (2018, October 1). Moving too fast? Books to get to grips with the pace of life. Retrieved from https://www.theguardian.com/books/2018/oct/01/books-to-understand-pace-of-life-further-reading.

3 comments:

  1. I save time because I want to do something that I wanted to such as playing games, dinner with my family, exercise , or something fun. In other hand, if I don't have free time, I will be depressed and feel uncomfortable. I think, people should not work for a long time otherwise people should save time for doing their favorite things.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read your article when I was in a subway in an rush hour. Your passage hit me hard. It made me stun a bit to think about a diferent between how I spend time in the present and in the past.

    In an old day, I enjoyed living a life than I am today. When I was in primary school, I had nothing to concern about. I spent time playing around at a playground with friends, reading cartoon chilly in a library and watching TV all day. You do make me feel nostalgia at this moment.

    In contrast, I have a lots of tasks to handle in nowadays. Including studying, I have got a part-time job, a tutoring job, a small business and a competition to organize. Moreover, I have to manage time for people around me and try to keep healthy.

    To answer your question, I want to save time for recharging myself. No matter how busy I am, I would like to keep a time for my hobbies and for doing what I love to do, such as cooking, swimming and also drawing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Like others, I enjoyed Yean's summary and response, both of which invite some reflection on how I spend my time. In fact, I've already finished my morning coffee, which was not so relaxed this morning because I was worrying about whether everything was ready to go for our class this morning. Then I quickly gulped my breakfast as I browsed a couple of daily newspapers. All that rushing didn't help me to enjoy the coffee or the steak that this morning's breakfast menu. But now I'm a bit more relaxed after a long, hot shower. In a few minutes, I'll get dressed and walk to AUA. At least Bangkok's traffic does not gobble up a lot of my life. But as Fern notes in her comment above, time on the BTS or subway can be spent doing other things, such as staring at a screen, which I think can be enjoyable.

    See you in 40 minutes.

    ReplyDelete

Before you click the blue "Publish" button for your first comment on a post, check ✔ the "Notify me" box. You want to know when your classmates contribute to a discussion you have joined.

A thoughtful response should normally mean writing for five to ten minutes. After you state your main idea, some details, explanation, examples or other follow up will help your readers.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.