Wednesday 10 October 2018

Diversity

What I read

Tiffany Abreu: Before trans vs After trans
Source: diaadia.com.pa
In 'Why not?': Transgender candidate busts stereotypes in Brazil' Kaiser A.J. (2018) reported that Tiffany Abreu, a 34-year-old transwoman who is the first transgender allowed to play in a female volleyball league in Brazil,  will be the first transgender lawmaker in its national congress. Due to her age, she will meet the end of her career, she believes that politics is where she can help people the most. She was running for the lower house in the general election, defying those who think trans people can't make into a legislative body. She claimed that people like her need to occupy spaces in the national congress to govern in LGBTQ+ people's interests and reverse the stigma of trans people. 

___________________________________ 

My response 

Source: hellogiggles.com
Recently, LGBTQ+ (click for a meaning) is becoming popular among many countries in Asia such as China, Taiwan, and Philipines. On the contrary, this topic is still taboo to a majority of people in there, including some parts of Thailand. I want to share my experience of LGBTQ+ to make you know more about that and it might convince you to feel more about the article I'm presenting. I am also one of the members of the LGBTQ+ community as I came out since I was young. Being a part of that makes me feel more comfortable to be me but have me been through a hard time since then as being mistreated for several years; i.e. being teased, mocked, and discriminated. Even though I am nearly 30 now, I, sometimes, have been treated differently by an old school adult who goes against LGBTQ+ people. Fortunately, however, I was born in a family which my parents don't care about the difference of their daughter because unless I do thing illegally, it’s OK for them to be different. That's why I never feel regretful to be me, on the other hand, I feel fantastic and pleased to be who I am.

For me, the required things for LGBTQ+ people are an acceptance, comprehension, opportunity and good perception toward those people. I think the opportunity is vital for them to prove themselves that they are able to work even their appearance is not the same as their gender. According to the news, thanks to Thai's government for recognizing the powerful ability of LGBTQ+ people that is worth working for them as you can recently see those people working for government unit such as being a municipal politician, teacher, governor or else. I believed that one day in the future, to change an gender identification word of LGBTQ+ people and their marriage will be legalized as in many western countries. I think if there's a chance for those people to work as a parliament member or be a part of a government.
___________________________________ 

My question

Would you mind having LGBTQ+ people in your family?
___________________________________ 

Reference

4 comments:

  1. This topic is one of what I fight for. Even I am straight , I cannot bear listening their disrespectful comments on this alternative preference. I have several idols who are LGBT+. I look up to Teacher Lookgolf, Teacher Lilly and a famous makeup artist named N'Chut, etc.

    From my point of view, The LGBT+ have mix characteristics from two gender, which appear to be a perfect combination. People, who is born to be a guy with female heart, will have strength and gentleness at the same time. In addition, a girls, who has heart like a boy, is also charming for many people.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also believe that we all have the right to live our lives and design them in our ways.

      Delete
    2. Thanks for your comment and I'm glad you have a positive thinking about LGBT people. I'm agree with you that everybody has their own right to live in their own way unless they do nothing illegally wrong or upset others. I like that you gave examples of successful LGBT people to let others easily understand gender is not a matter for success.

      Delete
  2. Thank you Mon for another great post on a modern issue.
    My own experience was a bit different, and less cheerful as a child in school, especially high school.

    And I'm amazed at how much society in the West has changed to very quickly. When I was at university, gay sex was a criminal offence in Australia, and it was even worse when I was in high school and the bad morals of Christian religious teachings were everywhere. Thankfully, religions were losing respect in Australia and people realized that they are so often wrong about everything, including what is and is not morally right.

    My family were not happy that my youngest brother and I were gay, but that was mainly because of what they thought others would think. Again, this changed with time, and today, no one cares in my family, and they haven't for a long time. When I took my boyfriend home to visit in 1999, my mother thoughtfully made up a double bed for us, which would have been unimaginable twenty years earlier. And at the beginning of this year, my country finally legalized same-sex marriage, to which the only real opposition was from religious groups with the out-of-date bad morals in need of reform.

    ReplyDelete

Before you click the blue "Publish" button for your first comment on a post, check ✔ the "Notify me" box. You want to know when your classmates contribute to a discussion you have joined.

A thoughtful response should normally mean writing for five to ten minutes. After you state your main idea, some details, explanation, examples or other follow up will help your readers.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.