Monday 10 October 2011

Brain 'rejects negative thoughts'

Do you know how to reduce a risk to be diseases? Anyone want to be a healthiness, without diseases. They tried to take care of ourselves and search for cause of a disease to avoid it. The most people think a food is a important factor and I think so. As this epigram "you are what you eat". However, exercise is also important. For this news, it make me recall to another factor that is important to increase a risk to be diseases.

According to " Brain 'rejects negative thoughts' " on BBC News, it's a study, published in Nature Neuroscience which suggests that the brain can work well when it processes good news about the future. From experiment, the scientists at University College London rated 14 people for level of optimism and tested them in a brain scanner. Its result found that the brain had more activity in the brain's frontal lobes when they received good news. Nevertheless, when they received bad news, the brain had least activity. For this reason, because the brain will reject negative thoughts, so it will work least. It shows that the brain choose and pick information to receive. however, the optimism seem to be good for our health.

For this news, I think it's useful to everybody because it help us to know how to be healthy. In my opinion, I think mood is important because I believe that if my mood is good, I feel happy and endophins was run. I think endophins can help me healthy. I have ever heard about research of mental that relate to health extremely. I think we should concentrate or practice our mind, avoid strains because it cause to be diseases such as heart disease, high blood pressure and so on. However, I agree with this news and I will give precedence to my mind more and more because I want to be healthy and don't want to see a doctor.


__________
References
James Gallagher. Brain 'rejects negative thoughts'. (2011, October 9) BBC News, Retrieved October 10,2011 from http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-15214080

Tali Sharot, Christoph W Korn & Raymond J Dolan. How unrealistic optimism is maintained in the face of reality. (2011 October, 9) BBC News, Retrieved October 10,2011 from http://www.nature.com/neuro/journal/vaop/ncurrent/full/nn.2949.html

2 comments:

  1. Optimism might be good for health, but when it leads to false beliefs about risk, is that good for health?
    For example, if a cigarette smoker optimistically but falsely believes that he only has a very low risk of cancer, is that optimistic belief healthy?

    I think that Aom addresses this in her response, but it might be useful to make the distinctions a little more explicit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aomsin,
    I welcome your post because it gives me a free ticket to healthy world. Isn't it good that just thinking something optimistic makes people healthy?
    Actually, your blog reminds me of two things. One is called "prenatal education", which represents the way of a mother thinking during her pregnancy. At that period, mothers are willing to think positively and try to avoid negative thoughts which would have bad impacts on their babies. Aomsin, is there the same meaning "prenatal education" in Thai?

    The other thing is placebo effect. Even though it is usually followed by quack medicines, I think that optimistic thoughts can help increase the placebo effect.

    Anyway, whether the result of this study is reliable or not, it is natural to think that positive is better than negative.

    ReplyDelete

Before you click the blue "Publish" button for your first comment on a post, check ✔ the "Notify me" box. You want to know when your classmates contribute to a discussion you have joined.

A thoughtful response should normally mean writing for five to ten minutes. After you state your main idea, some details, explanation, examples or other follow up will help your readers.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.